Help with a name, please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Help with a name, please

Postby DebiHarbuck » 02 Dec 2011, 13:14

Any thoughts on what the Groom's mother's maiden name is on this one?

The groom is Felice Bussi, of Canelli and his father's name is Carlo; Teresa is very plain to me, but after that? Sar...Sam...San...??
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Help with a name, please

Postby adelfio » 02 Dec 2011, 14:38

Possible Samane doesnt look like a I on the end but this official doesnt dot his or hers I's

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Postby DebiHarbuck » 02 Dec 2011, 23:48

The last letter looks like an "O" to me; compare to the "O" in Carlo and Maggio (which, not incidentally I'm sure, should be Mazzia). All the "i" that I see are dotted.

Is there a site anyone knows of where I can scan through lists of names common to certain areas? I've tried Googling, but haven't hit upon the right combo yet...
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 03 Dec 2011, 15:18

DebiHarbuck wrote:The last letter looks like an "O" to me; compare to the "O" in Carlo and Maggio (which, not incidentally I'm sure, should be Mazzia). All the "i" that I see are dotted.

Is there a site anyone knows of where I can scan through lists of names common to certain areas? I've tried Googling, but haven't hit upon the right combo yet...

If thats the case the it could be just some more Italian names screw up by record keepers. Best luck might be getting his birth record from FHL Registri dello stato civile di Canelli (Asti), 1866-1910 if your sure of his location of birth.
Also the old standby
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Postby DebiHarbuck » 03 Dec 2011, 19:42

Oh, those sites are great...thanks! :)

How about "Sormano"? Here's Felice's brother Paolo's manifest (line 26); looks like his mother's name is listed as "Bussi Sormano Teresa"?

DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Postby DebiHarbuck » 03 Dec 2011, 20:29

Not yet. :) The only other manifest I've found so far lists Giovanni Bussi, going to his brother Paolo and leaving his mother, Teresa...but no last name is given at all.

PippoM
Master
Master

Postby PippoM » 03 Dec 2011, 22:41

In the Manifest, it really looks like Sormano. Moreover, it is a surname from Piemonte. But that is not what they wrote in the certificate (the "r" is missing, or the "m" turned to "n")!
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Postby DebiHarbuck » 03 Dec 2011, 22:50

Yes, Pippo. The bride's mother's name is Silvina Mazzia, and that's not what's written on the certificate, either. :)

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”