Birth and Marriage Help

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
ponti46
Rookie
Rookie

Birth and Marriage Help

Postby ponti46 » 14 Jan 2012, 22:55

Hi my name is Ralph Ponticelli and I’m new to this site. I hope I’m in the right section to post my questions, if not please point me in the right direction.

I was fortunate to locate my G-Grandfather’s Birth Record on the LDS site. Giuseppe Penticelli (Ponticelli) was born 28 Nov 1850, in Vacaria Italy. I can read his parents names but can’t make out the Parish where he was baptized.

There’s also a notation on page 2, and from my limited knowledge of Italian, I understand it to read that he married Teresa Di Giulio on 22 May 1880, in Avvocata. However, I can’t read the few words after her name.

http://s19.postimage.org/7hx3f5r6r/BC_G ... 8_1850.jpg
http://s19.postimage.org/jxtt8wkir/BC_G ... 0_pg_2.jpg

How can I obtain a copy of their Marriage Certificate?

Another question is with regard to travel documents. My G-Grandfather arrived at Ellis Island on 30 Jul 1892 aboard the Sailing Ship Trinacria, as passenger #149. I don’t know when it left Naples.

My G-Grandmother Teresa Di Giulio, her three sons and two daughters arrived in NY on 2 Jan 1895 aboard the Steam Ship Suevia, as passengers #11 tru 16. Again, I don’t know when it left Naples.

In the 1890’s did they have to apply for passage? Did they have to provide documentation, such as Proof of Citizenship, Birth, Marriage and Military Records?

If they did, are these records available to us, and are they difficult to obtain?

Any help you can provide, will be greatly appreciated.

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Birth and Marriage Help

Postby liviomoreno » 15 Jan 2012, 07:57

ponti46 wrote:Hi my name is Ralph Ponticelli and I’m new to this site. I hope I’m in the right section to post my questions, if not please point me in the right direction.

I was fortunate to locate my G-Grandfather’s Birth Record on the LDS site. Giuseppe Penticelli (Ponticelli) was born 28 Nov 1850, in Vacaria Italy. Giuseppe Pendicelli was born 28 Nov 1850, in Napoli, district Vicaria. I can read his parents names but can’t make out the Parish where he was baptized He was baptized in the Cathedral.

There’s also a notation on page 2, and from my limited knowledge of Italian, I understand it to read that he married Teresa Di Giulio on 22 May 1880, in Napoli, district Avvocata. However, I can’t read the few words after her name "Il vice cancelliere - Signature".

http://s19.postimage.org/7hx3f5r6r/BC_G ... 8_1850.jpg
http://s19.postimage.org/jxtt8wkir/BC_G ... 0_pg_2.jpg

How can I obtain a copy of their Marriage Certificate?
Write to:

Ufficio di Stato Civile
II Traversa dell'Epomeo Parco Quadrifoglio
80126 Napoli
Italy

stato.civile@comune.napoli.it

Another question is with regard to travel documents. My G-Grandfather arrived at Ellis Island on 30 Jul 1892 aboard the Sailing Ship Trinacria, as passenger #149. I don’t know when it left Naples.

My G-Grandmother Teresa Di Giulio, her three sons and two daughters arrived in NY on 2 Jan 1895 aboard the Steam Ship Suevia, as passengers #11 tru 16. Again, I don’t know when it left Naples.

In the 1890’s did they have to apply for passage? Did they have to provide documentation, such as Proof of Citizenship, Birth, Marriage and Military Records?

If they did, are these records available to us, and are they difficult to obtain?

Any help you can provide, will be greatly appreciated.

ponti46
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ponti46 » 15 Jan 2012, 23:12

Livio,

Thank you for the quick reply.

You said my G-Grandfather was baptized in “The Cathedral” Is there a name associated with “The Cathedral”, is it in Vicaria?

Regarding the “Atti di Matrimonio”, do you know of a web site that will help me translate my request from English into Italian?

Also, do you know if the family travel documents are available.

Thanks again for you help.

...Ralph

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 16 Jan 2012, 08:02

ponti46 wrote:Livio,

You said my G-Grandfather was baptized in “The Cathedral” Is there a name associated with “The Cathedral”, is it in Vicaria?
I'm sorry but I don't know
Regarding the “Atti di Matrimonio”, do you know of a web site that will help me translate my request from English into Italian?
Form letters in Italian can be found at:

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resources/letters/ and http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

I'm sorry but I don't know

...Ralph

PippoM
Master
Master

Postby PippoM » 16 Jan 2012, 13:23

If I'm not wrong the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta should be in Vicaria. It is the main church of Naples, where twice a year the miracle of St. Gennaro's blood melting takes place.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 16 Jan 2012, 15:50

ponti46 wrote:Livio,

...Ralph

Here a site that might help click on record to enlarge it for viewing
https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki ... anslations

https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki ... Record.jpg

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

ponti46
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ponti46 » 17 Jan 2012, 23:46

Livio

Thanks again for your help.

...Ralph

ponti46
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ponti46 » 17 Jan 2012, 23:51

PippoM,

Thanks. The Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta makes sense, because Giuseppe and Teresa had two daughters, Assunta and Maria.

Thanks again,

...Ralph

ponti46
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ponti46 » 18 Jan 2012, 00:07

Adelfio,

Thanks for the links, I'll certainly use them in my research. However, I was looking for a site that will help me translate English to Italian, in order to request an Italian Marriage Record from Naples.

Livio provided two links that I'm trying to work with. If you know of any others, I'd welcome them.

Thanks for you help.

...Ralph

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 18 Jan 2012, 02:53

Ufficio di Stato Civile
Comune di (NAME OF TOWN)

Egregi signori,
Mi chiamo (YOURNAME). Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho biosgno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da (TOWNS NAME). Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
Vi chiedo di spedirmi l’atti di matrimonio di queste persone nei vostri registri?
Vi prego di informarmi se sia possibile ottenere delle fotocopie dei vostri registri di l’atti di matrimonio nei vostri registri?
Nome e cognome del marito: (NAME OF GROOM)
Data di nascita: (DATE OF BIRTH)
Nome e cognome della moglie: (NAME OF BRIDE)
Data di nascita: (DATE OF BIRTH)
Data di matrimonio:(DATE OF MARRIAGE)
Luogo di matrimonio: (TOWN of MARRIAGE)
Vi ringrazio in anticipo per il vostro gentilezza e premura.
NAME ADDRESS EMAIL
If you dont know dates you can use the word circa (1870-1875)example

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

ponti46
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ponti46 » 21 Jan 2012, 02:13

Marty,

Thank you for your help.

I'll let you know when I receive a reply.

Thanks again,

Ralph

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”