What does Osped. mean

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Congemi
Rookie
Rookie

What does Osped. mean

Postby Congemi » 20 Jan 2012, 22:50

Death index has the abbriviation "Osped."; is this a place in Sicily or a term?
Thank you,
Tana

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: What does Osped. mean

Postby Italysearcher » 20 Jan 2012, 23:07

Could it be 'ospedale' hospital? as the place where the death took place.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Congemi
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Congemi » 21 Jan 2012, 06:12

Ann,
You know I believe you are right. What is odd is that there are two listings for what appears to be the same person. One states he died in St. Oliva with "Atti. diversi" and the other listing "age 74 Osped" Both with the same parents same death date. Must be something out of the ordinary to be in the diversi records, don't you think?
I certainly appreciate your responding to my post.
Thank you,
Tana

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 21 Jan 2012, 07:31

If you are able to post both documents we can be more precise...

Congemi
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Congemi » 21 Jan 2012, 23:51

Livio,
The listings come from Hugh Tornabene site. It is the scanned images of the original book indexing the deaths in the Province of Palermo from 1820-1835. The copyright had long ended and he was given permission to publish.The person is not a direct, actually, it was a slight tangent I found myself on concerning the family that a 2nd gr Uncle married into which ironically their names are the same.
However, concerning death certificates, I would be interested in your opinion given the amount of reseach you have done. On my 3rd gr great grandfather's death certificate it states he was born in Palermo. What would I assume; he was born in the city of Palermo or someplace at large in the Province of Palermo. I know here in the states if the certificate said Texas it means somewhere in the state not Texas City, Texas. Right now I'm thinking somewhere in the Province.
I appreciate your interest and help.
Thank you,
Tana
PS at least I believe the gentleman from the death certificate is of the same family. One has to be very careful almost any name is common. Here in the states you have to rely on land records to discern one "John Smith" from another. Anyway, there is no need to add him to my database.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 22 Jan 2012, 00:50

What I find on Palermo records birth and marriage usually they list the sezione of the Palermo like S.Agata Santa Ninfa or it will say just Palermo for the citti. Possible he died in a hospital(ospedale) in the sezione of St. Oliva.

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Congemi
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Congemi » 22 Jan 2012, 03:19

Marty,
Thank you for responding. Given I have a few ancesstors with documents registered in the city I will look at ordering the films.
Knowing that a record stating "Palermo" most likely means the city is most helpful.
Enjoy your weekend,
Tana

nazca
Elite
Elite

Postby nazca » 23 Jan 2012, 15:59

Hi,
Osped. means Ospedale ("hospital") and was one of the administrative section of Palermo like molo, oreto, etc , near the "Grande Ospedale" (Great Hospital) founded 1435.

best regards.
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).

Congemi
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Congemi » 23 Jan 2012, 18:32

Thank you Nazca. I appreciate the background information concerning "Ospedale". I noticed you had family that immigrated to New Orleans. I may be preaching to the choir when I ask if you have access to a Family History Center which has a great many films for New Orleans or are you using Ancestry?
Thank you again,
Tana

nazca
Elite
Elite

Postby nazca » 24 Jan 2012, 19:08

I Tana,
i used familysearch.org, Ancestry.com , genealogy.com, footnote and so one for my research. I wrote to Nara and UScis for orginal documents.
I hope i helped you.

Vincenzo.
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).

Congemi
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Congemi » 24 Jan 2012, 21:00

Vincenzo,
Yes, you did help with the information abt the hospital. I was asking you if there was a Mormon Family history center where you live. I have been a non-member volunteer at one for about 15 yrs. most of which has been spent researching my husband's and my family history here in the states. Just in the last year, once I gleaned how to access the records that I needed,that I started researching my paternal line in Sicily. One of these days I will attempt writing for records that I don't have access to.
By the way, have you been successful in your US research? I should check at our center to see if there are any films from New Orleans that are on permanent loan.
Thank you again & good luck with your research.
Regards,
Tana

nazca
Elite
Elite

Postby nazca » 25 Jan 2012, 17:52

Hi Tana,
yes there's a family center in Palermo but all documents i have come from National Archive and the sites i mentioned before. my genealogical tree is almost complete but i'm waiting 1940 census records. i don't have complete information about greatuncles and their sons born in the u.s., especially Chicago, Ill.
regards
vincenzo

Congemi
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Congemi » 01 Feb 2012, 19:52

Continued success with your research!
Tana

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”