opinion/question

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Congemi
Rookie
Rookie

opinion/question

Postby Congemi » 24 Jan 2012, 23:13

I need an opinion....I have an ancestor whose age is inconsistent on each of his children's birth certificates as wellas his death certificate. Have others found this to be the case during their research? Since I have not found an entry for his birth which age would you use as a birth year. Would you use the birth of the first known child which is closer to the time of his birth or would you use his death age?
Thanks in advance,
Tana

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: opinion/question

Postby adelfio » 25 Jan 2012, 02:52

I would use the birth record more than more than death record I find age on death record older ages tend to be off.

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Congemi
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Congemi » 25 Jan 2012, 03:51

Marty,
Thank you for responding. I guess what I shall do is take an average of his age stated on all of his childrens birth records.
Till the next time.
Regards,
Tana

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 25 Jan 2012, 13:45

Even today Italians are one year older than we would consider their age. My husband and I were born within 10 days of each other in the same year. He is always one year older than me when stating his age.
When discussing the ages of others he tends to round up to the next decade. For instance my mother is 87 (88 in Oct 2012). For him she is already 88, but when speaking of her to others he says she is 90.
What I want to say is that you should keep searching backwards. Your ancestor may be up to 5 years oder than you expect. Also, there may have been miscarriages before the first child, or even another wife and children several years earlier.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 25 Jan 2012, 17:45

Italysearcher wrote:Even today Italians are one year older than we would consider their age. My husband and I were born within 10 days of each other in the same year. He is always one year older than me when stating his age.
When discussing the ages of others he tends to round up to the next decade. For instance my mother is 87 (88 in Oct 2012). For him she is already 88, but when speaking of her to others he says she is 90.
What I want to say is that you should keep searching backwards. Your ancestor may be up to 5 years oder than you expect. Also, there may have been miscarriages before the first child, or even another wife and children several years earlier.

some Italians :wink:

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”