Searching for baptisimal record of husband's uncle

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Searching for baptisimal record of husband's uncle

Postby Kaylie » 12 Feb 2012, 18:31

I have spent long hours researching the birth/baptism of Giuseppe Petralia, born in Prizzi Italy in 1904 (mother and father were Salvatore Petralia and Epifania Boccellato). His name does not appear in any of the records reasearched on familysearch.org. Can anyone give me any hints as to how I might find him? Perhaps his year of birth is incorrect. Giuseppe immigrated to the US (date unknown). I did search Ellis Island.org but could not find any information on his arrival. The family believes that he entered the US by alternate means. All of his siblings and spouse are deceased so my finding him depends on my research. I do know tht he changed the spelling of his last name from Petralia to Petrolio and kept it spelled that way until his death in 1957 in New York. His spouse was Lena Birilli. He was a tailor by trade in the US. No records found in SS Death Index. He did exist since I knew him as a child and he was a close friend of my family. Suggestions, help, anyone!!
Kaylie
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Searching for baptisimal record of husband's uncle

Postby Tessa78 » 13 Feb 2012, 01:08

Possible US Naturalization Card for Giuseppe Petrolia...

Living in Brooklyn
Born about 1903
On this record is his Petition # - you could use that to request his naturalization records from NARA
You will need to register to use this site...
https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov

US Naturalization Card - 1949

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby shirbyrae » 20 Apr 2013, 23:05

Hi, Kaylie,
I found your Giuseppe Petralia on the Family Search site in the records of Monreale Diocese for Prizzi:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :683635291
That should take you to the page of the entry of his baptism dated 23 Feb 1903, on pg 76 img 418. It shows that he was actually born on the 17th and not the 23rd. You will also see that each of his parent's fathers are shown....Salvatore's being Castrenze, and Epifania's being Francesco.
Other children I found were:
pg76 img Castrenze bapt 29 Oct 1893
pg199 img 150 Maria Anna bapt 6 Oct 1895
pg317 img209 Maria Anna Assunta bapt 30 Aug 1897 born on 24th
pg491 img 297 Francesco bapt 9 Jul 1900
pg173 img 467 Francesca bapt 6 Mar 1906 and married 11 Feb 1931

The link to the available St George the Martyr records is:
https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D2046915
Should you need other communities in that Diocese, just click on "Italy, Palermo..." and that will take you to the other available communities' records.
Hope this helps you.
Shirley :)
If you have any particular ?s, you may email me at shirbyrae at aol dot com
I live in these records :)
shirbyrae

Postby Kaylie » 21 Apr 2013, 18:00

Thank you Shirley for your email letting me know that you found records for my husband's Uncle Joe. He has eluded me since I started searching for him. I still have no information as to how he entered the US. No records found on the Ellis Island site. We do know that he changed his last name to Petrolio. His naturalization application was signed with Petrolio so I imagine he must have entered with that name. However, no records of entry on the Ellis Island site exist for that name. I've been told that his entry to the states was a little shady, so that may be why I cannot find any records. Any ideas on how to proceed or is this just a dead end? He did marry in the US but his wife is deceased. Again, thank you for giving me all of the information and even more where they can be located.
Kaylie
Rookie
Rookie

Postby shirbyrae » 22 Apr 2013, 05:03

Kaylie, You may want to look at some of the other ports of entry. There are generally some records available for free on ancestry.com, and they have a lot of the manifests for Boston, New Orleans, etc, and border crossings from/to Cananda.
shirbyrae

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations