Help with death cert., please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Congemi
Rookie
Rookie

Help with death cert., please

Postby Congemi » 22 Feb 2012, 15:27

I need help with the translation of this death certificate for Margarite Cangemi
All that I have managed to gain from the document is her name, date of April 26, 1826, 14th hour , died at home (do not recognize the word following the entry), born Palermo, wife of deceased Gabriele, both unnamed parents are deceased.
As always any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Tana

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/85 ... ngemi.jpg/

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Help with death cert., please

Postby adelfio » 22 Feb 2012, 15:44

la casa la propria abitazione Margarite Cangemi anno sessanta

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Congemi
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Congemi » 22 Feb 2012, 16:18

Marty,
Thank you for such a quick response. May I take advantage of your kindness in asking you if you can make out the village where she resided and below that what the line following "domicilliata___________________" says.
Appreciate your coming to the rescue.
Tana

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 22 Feb 2012, 19:33

Possible Sant'Oliva looks like a S(in looking at other words in record) so it might be abrevation S.oliva a sezione of Palermo Thats alot of chicken scratch

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

PippoM
Master
Master

Postby PippoM » 22 Feb 2012, 21:33

I agree with Marty about the "S." short for "Santa", but then I don't think it's Oliva, as there's a "i" before last letter (I see the dot on it). It looks more like "lucia". Do you have a list of sezioni?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

Congemi
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Congemi » 23 Feb 2012, 05:00

Marty & Pippo,
I want to thank both of you for attempting to translate portions of the document. I have looked for towns and villages in Mezzomonreale without much luck. I think it might be clever of me to go back to the film to look at other documents that were written by the same official who handled Margarite’s death certificate. I would really like to determine what the hand written line above the last typed section is stating, if it offers anything important.
Tana

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 23 Feb 2012, 07:43

Congemi wrote:Marty & Pippo,
I want to thank both of you for attempting to translate portions of the document. I have looked for towns and villages in Mezzomonreale without much luck. I think it might be clever of me to go back to the film to look at other documents that were written by the same official who handled Margarite’s death certificate. I would really like to determine what the hand written line above the last typed section is stating, if it offers anything important.
Tana

It states:
"si ignorano i nomi dei genitori e il cognome del marito" = "the parents' names and the husband's surname are not known"

I'm not able to understand the name of the place where Margarita resided.

Congemi
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Congemi » 23 Feb 2012, 19:06

Livio,
Thank you so much for translating that statement. I am so thrilled and elated! I went to bed last night thinking that knowing, from birth records, that nomen=name that possibly cognome marito was referring to married name but couldn’t determine the balance of the sentence. Let me ask you something about females and surnames. I know that a female is always referenced by her maiden name in civil records but how about in society is she called by her married name? The reason I ask is because I believe that Margarita Cangemi (also found spelled Cancemi) of this record might be my 4th gr grandmother. The only record I have found thus far that provides the surname of Cusumano for her is my 3rd gr grandfather’s marriage (1815 church records) in the District of Falsomiele. From the record I learned that this grandfather’s parents were Gabriele Cancemi & Margarita Cusumano. It was just this week that I have found a sibling for him(3rd gr) in a baptism index from Monreale which only gives the mother’s given name so must find the record if available. I knew that Gabriele had died in 1813 Monreale & his parents name which is what caused me to look into the Monreale records (indexes thus far) & struck pay dirt.
You know, I think maybe I should cut to the chase before I end up laying out my step by step research of my family. In your opinion do you think it possible that given her parents names were unknown and that only her husband’s first name was known that she was actually recorded under the only surname that others knew it being her married name? If so I probably just answered the question about surnames. I’m just wondering even if I’m fortunate in finding a record that gives her parents names if it would help at all in supporting my belief that Margarita of this record is indeed my 4th gr grandmother.
Again thank you so much for responding. I think it is so kind & generous of you and others to help we Yanks in finding our roots.
God bless,
Tana

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 23 Feb 2012, 19:23

In social life a woman may be called by her married name. So there is a chance that Margarita was known by her husband name Cangemi, but you'll never be 100% sure...

Congemi
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Congemi » 23 Feb 2012, 19:59

Unfortunately, I agree. I have been doing family research, state side, for over twenty years so I really already knew what you would probably say and couldn't state it as fact. At this point I can only hope to find a record giving her parents names. As for her death it will be left unknown till something gives me at least a time frame that I can record.
Again I thank you,
Tana

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”