Need help translating a few lines of a Promise to Marry act

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
bnelson
Rookie
Rookie

Need help translating a few lines of a Promise to Marry act

Postby bnelson » 29 Feb 2012, 02:49

I am struggling to translate a few lines from a Solemn Promise to Marry Act. Here is a link to the document:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7gLZR ... YUl3YllVdw

I need help with 2 lines in this document:

1)
...domiciliata col figlio, privo ancozo(?) di suo avo Paterno Gennaro Rega

I'm stuck on the word "ancozo" which I'm sure is wrong, but I can't tell what it should be. I'm also not sure of the meaning of this line, something about living with the son of the paternal grandfather?

2) Nella fede di morte dell'avo Paterno dello sposo

I'm not sure I understand the meaning of "nella fede" in this sentence. If it said "nell'atto di morte" it would mean "the death act of the groom's paternal grandfather." A literal translation with nella feda would be "in faith of the death of the groom's paternal grandfather." Does this mean that the paternal grandfather is dead, but they don't have the death act?

Thank you for helping,

Bill

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Need help translating a few lines of a Promise to Marry

Postby liviomoreno » 29 Feb 2012, 07:31

bnelson wrote:...

1)
...domiciliata col figlio, privo ancozo(?) di suo avo Paterno Gennaro Rega

2) Nella fede di morte dell'avo Paterno dello sposo

1) I read "privo ancora di suo avo paterno Gennaro Rega" = "Also his paternal grandfather Gennaro Rega is dead"
2) "Fede di Nascita" and "Fede di morte" are respectively "birth certificate" and "death certificate" usually issued by the Church

Since the groom and the bride were under the age of 25 they both needed the written consensus of their parents. If the paternal grandfather of the groom was alive he should have consented (in lieu of his son). This is the reason why Giovanni had to show a proof of the death of both his father and his grandfather.

bnelson
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Need help translating a few lines of a Promise to Marry

Postby bnelson » 01 Mar 2012, 03:04

That makes sense - thank you very much!
Bill

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”