Marriage Record - Pasquale Guerra and Filomina Agnes

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jpetrelli
Rookie
Rookie

Marriage Record - Pasquale Guerra and Filomina Agnes

Postby jpetrelli » 26 Mar 2012, 03:19

I was hoping the forum could help me with translation of this marriage record. Not to impose, but since this document predates the standard marriage form, I was hoping for as literal a translation as possible.

Thank you greatly.

Joe

Researching Surnames:
Petrelli & Fumarola (Martina Franca); Camelio & Traniello (Gaeta); Aramini, Bruno & Guerra (Zagarise); Gusmano/Cusimano & Trapani (Corleone) and Caronna, Crisenza, Napoli & Torretta (Bisacquino)

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Marriage Record - Pasquale Guerra and Filomina Agnes

Postby Tessa78 » 26 Mar 2012, 06:40

Hi Joe,

This is not the marriage act, but rather the promise to marry.
It is dated the 15 day of October 1870 at the town hall.
Appearing before the Mayor, Salvatore Tulelli is
Pasquale Guerra, single, peasant farmer, born 6th day of November 1840, of age 29, son of Domenica, residing in this town.
And
Filomena Agnese, spinner, single, born the 19th of November 1848, of age 21, daughter of Maria, residing also in the comune.
It then states that they wish to state their intention to marry.
According to the law (Civil Code 70) it is necessary to make 2 publications of the banns. The first will be on the 16th and the second will be on the 23 of the current month. These will be Sundays.
They will provide copies of their birth records, and providing there is no impediment to the marriage (reason for the banns) the marriage will take place.
Witnesses are named at the end. They just witnessed the recording of this promise.

T.

jpetrelli
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jpetrelli » 26 Mar 2012, 16:28

Tessa,

Thank you greatly for your assistance translating this document.

A few brief follow up questions:
1. Is there anything notable or that stands out to you as unique within the document?
2. Is Domenica a common male variation of the name? It surprises me.
3. Any thoughts as to why Filomena’s mother is listed, but not her father? Was Filomena possibly born out of wedlock? Is her mother Maria Agnese, if so, since the Mother's Surname was passed on, can we draw any other conclusions about Filomena's parentage?

Thank you again.

Joe
Researching Surnames:
Petrelli & Fumarola (Martina Franca); Camelio & Traniello (Gaeta); Aramini, Bruno & Guerra (Zagarise); Gusmano/Cusimano & Trapani (Corleone) and Caronna, Crisenza, Napoli & Torretta (Bisacquino)

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 26 Mar 2012, 17:02

jpetrelli wrote:Tessa,

Thank you greatly for your assistance translating this document.

A few brief follow up questions:
1. Is there anything notable or that stands out to you as unique within the document?
2. Is Domenica a common male variation of the name? It surprises me.
3. Any thoughts as to why Filomena’s mother is listed, but not her father? Was Filomena possibly born out of wedlock? Is her mother Maria Agnese, if so, since the Mother's Surname was passed on, can we draw any other conclusions about Filomena's parentage?

Thank you again.

Joe

Domenica is the mother. Pasquale's father is unknown.
Filomena's father is also unknown. Agnese is the surname of Maria and of her daughter Filomena

jpetrelli
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jpetrelli » 26 Mar 2012, 18:34

I don't know why I assumed "son of Domenica" meant father. Thank you for clarifying.

So, it seems that Pasquale and Filomena came from some form of non-traditional family households, since neither had a father documented.

Thank you again.

Joe
Researching Surnames:

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”