help with a translation, please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran

help with a translation, please

Postby elmosgirl » 13 Apr 2012, 21:40

Hello,

Recently, I came across a book on the Internet (almost 100 years old) written in Italian but available with a Google translation. Of course, the text is rather choppy reading but I've stumbled along through its pages until...............

this is the original Italian:
La proprietà passò ai loro eredi Antonio, Giovanni ed alle loro sorelle maritate a Materi, a Tramater, a Riccardi, a Martinelli. La parte dei Materi è stata di recente ceduta allo Stato.

this is the translation I have:
The property passed to their heirs Anthony, John and their sisters married in Materi, to Tramater, Riccardi, to Martinelli. The part of the Materi has recently been transferred to the state.

Even though I know from family research that these families were in Basilicata, I am confused over the word Materi.

I can locate a Matera in Basilicata, but am unable to locate a Materi anywhere in Italy.

Can you help me understand this confusing Matera/Materi issue? An answer will lead to another avenue of research!

Thank you so much,

Noel

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: help with a translation, please

Postby liviomoreno » 14 Apr 2012, 07:33

elmosgirl wrote:...

this is the original Italian:
La proprietà passò ai loro eredi Antonio, Giovanni ed alle loro sorelle maritate a Materi, a Tramater, a Riccardi, a Martinelli. La parte dei Materi è stata di recente ceduta allo Stato.

this is the translation I have:
The property passed to their heirs Anthony, John and their sisters married in Materi, to Tramater, Riccardi, to Martinelli. The part of the Materi has recently been transferred to the state.

Noel

this is my translation:
The property passed to their heirs Anthony, John and to their sisters married to Materi, to Tramater, to Riccardi, to Martinelli. The part of the Materi has recently been transferred to the State.

Materi is the surname of the husband of one of the four sisters of Antonio and Giovanni Blasi.

elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran

Re: help with a translation, please

Postby elmosgirl » 14 Apr 2012, 16:43

Thank you Livio!

Now, these words make sense to me, and because of your help, I can also expand the members of my great-great grandmother's family!

Wonderful!

Noel

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”