Need translation of label on painting

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Need translation of label on painting

Postby rslyle » 27 May 2012, 21:41

I know little about my 9th great grandfather, who left Italy in the late 1600's and set up a business in southern Germany with several cousins. His name was Antonio Mainone; he died in Germany in 1710; the Mainone family was apparently an important Italian merchant family with interests in many parts of Italy and the surrounding countries. I found an old book that discusses the artifacts in the Sanctuary of the Madonna del Soccorso, a series of chapels on the Saccro Monte di Ossuccio, on Lake Como. Chapel #5 was built by Giovanni Mainone/Mainoni, my 9th ggf's cousin. There is a painting in that chapel depicting a miracle in which my 9th ggf called out to the Virgin to save him, his father, another cousin, and maybe his horse, from drowning. Thankfully, his prayers were answered, but I have not been able to get an accurate translation of the descriptive label. The chapel was built in the 1680's and friends have told me that the language of the label is very antiquated.

I will be most appreciative if anyone can translate this label. The text follows:

Cinque personaggi a catena in un fiume. Cavalli sulla rivo e paesaggio sullo sfondo. Nel cielo Madonna col Babino e Sant’Antonio.

“1666 – 1 NOVEMBRE… ANTONIO MAINONI FIGLIO DI… LORENZO MAINONI CADERO DE IL CAVALLO NEL PO ET INVOCANDOSI DAL MAINONI IL SIGNORE E LA VERGINE SANTISSIMA PIU’ VOLTA AD ALTA VOCE RESTA A GALLA SOPRA DELLE ACQUE TANTO CHE SALTANDO NEL FIUME SUO PADRE CON BARTOLOMEO MAINONI E FRANCESCO COPPA ESPONENDOSI AL MEDESIMO ATTACCANDOSI L’UN L’ALTRO RESTANO TUTTI PER GRAZIA LIBERATI”
rslyle

Re: Need translation of label on painting

Postby PippoM » 30 May 2012, 07:32

This is quite a literal translation, using the same twisted sentences of the original.
If you have seen the painting it's easier for you to understand.
(Description)Five people in a line, joining in a human chain, in a river. Horses on the riverside, and a panorama in the background. In the sky the Virgin and Child, and St. Anthony.

1666, November 1st. Antonio Mainoni son of...Lorenzo Mainoni fell from his horse into the Po, and as he called in a loud voice several times Our Lord and the Holy Virgin, he stayed afloat on the water, so that, jumping into the river, his father with Bartolomeo Mainoni and Francesco Coppa, exposing themselves to the same danger, clinging to one another, they all set themselves free by grace.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical searches in Italy.
Translation of your old documents and letters.
Legal assistance for your Italian citizenship.
PippoM
Master
Master

Postby rslyle » 23 Oct 2012, 02:24

Thank you very much for providing a translation. I knew the general story, but I was afraid that I was missing some of it. Your translation seems very complete.

This will make a very nice story for some of my more devote relatives!
rslyle

Postby PippoM » 23 Oct 2012, 09:08

you're very welcome!
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical searches in Italy.
Translation of your old documents and letters.
Legal assistance for your Italian citizenship.
PippoM
Master
Master

Postby paola52 » 23 Oct 2012, 11:18

Very interesting! As an art historian I study the Sacri Monti, but I didn't know about this. Where can I find a picture of the painting?
Thanks
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan
paola52
Veteran
Veteran

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations