Cosa significa!?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Cosa significa!?

Post by AmyT »

essere chiamarsi

(io) sono mi chiamo

(tu) sei ti chiami

(Lei) e' si chiama

Ok.. I understand 'tu' is used in a casual way, whereas 'Lei' is used in a formal appropriate way... for saying the word 'You'

So is ' Io sono' = 'I am'??

Also, come si dice 'couch' 'door' and 'light' in Italian?
Image 'If you never open doors to let anyone in, no one can get in, but neither can you get out.'
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Cosa significa!?

Post by ptimber »

Io sono ,tu sei, lei egli essa e, noi siamo, voi sapete loro essi esse sono is the I you (fam) you polite, we youoplural polite and they. Egli and essa are masculine and feminine and plural essi essa for the same. The word for couch is poltrone, porta and luce are door and light providing you mean electric light. Peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

one more: My friend recently used 'piacere' when being introduced to someone older than her, and she was formal... they thought that was weird... (she was in Italy and they were Italians)... so is it something said as in 'my pleasure' or 'its a pleasure'? Or is it not commonly used?
Image 'If you never open doors to let anyone in, no one can get in, but neither can you get out.'
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

It means pleasure but informally means it is a pleasure to meet you. Peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

Grazie Peter..
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

prego bellezza! peter
DeliBoy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeliBoy »

Amy,

You may find this free on line dictionary useful.

http://www.wordreference.com
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Delivery pizza's too?? peter
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Deliboy,

do not let the asinine comments of some intimidate
you. if you feel you have something to contribute, then by
all means, do so. :D

wldspirit
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I am really easy to get along with once you people learn to see it. Anyone can contribute to this forum and they certainly do. Peter
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

ptimber wrote:Delivery pizza's too?? peter

Peter, leave your non-helpful and rude comments to yourself. You sit there and criticize everyone who tries to help, and it is NOT your place to do so. This is the only genealogy forum I have ever seen where a troll "moderates" over people genuinely trying to help.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

ptimber wrote:I am really easy to get along with once you people learn to see it.

You have got to be kidding.
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

WOW, I'm a magnet for drama! Honestly it just makes me feel loved, so thank you all!

Deliboy, thank you very much for the link.

Wldspirit, I like you.. :lol:

Peter IS easy to get along with when you get past the cute 'elitist' thing he has going on! :wink:
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I do not criticize people and only when they interface with me and display mediocrity or worse in their responses where I am involved. Often replies are based upon mere recitation of data without the awareness of knowing the level of competence they are dealing with and assuming things far beyond the ken or wishes of the person making an inquiry. On top of all this they are not even awre of their own limitations and presume professional status!!! All I see is a series of screw up fairies on the forum. I am sure you will agree with me the purpose of this forum is =to not only assist but to teach people (if this is whats wanted) how to research. This forum is not designed to satisfy their ego needs at the inquirers expense!! Peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

Amy filter reads this =

A lot of people think they know more than they really know about what they are doing. A lot of people copy links that have been copied to them or have been useful to them, but may not be useful to whom they are pasting (I insert here, it doesn't mean they aren't useful at all). I like to show people how to do it for themselves, and make sure that when information is given it is at least checked up on for accuracy. This makes me come across rudely because sometimes I am cross and not as socially correct as everyone else.
:wink:

Thank you for viewing 'Amy's perspective on the issue at hand'.

Disclaimer: This filter should not be used, sold, or replicated without the direct supervision of an adult. :)