Cosa significa!?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
DeliBoy
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Cosa significa!?

Post by DeliBoy »

Wldspirit,

You appear to have me confused with someone who cares what Peter thinks. Unlike Peter, I do not feel the need to pollute threads with inane drivel whose only purpose can be to ensure that my name appears at the bottom of as many threads as possible. (Although I must admit that on this occasion Peter has got the better of me and dragged out this response). Rest assured that when I have something to contribute I shall post, and when I have nothing to contribute I shall not.

Amy and Jim,

While your thanks and concern are greatly appreciated, they are not necessary.

Peter,

When Amy asked for a simple translation of a few words into Italian, like you, I could have translated those few words. However in the spirit of "trying to help people help themselves", I thought providing her with a link to a dictionary where she can look up her own translations was a reasonable thing to do. I believe that she does have the necessary competence to handle a dictionary. That way, rather than me having to second guess what she meant by "light", she could easily see a number of possible alternatives.

You seem to hold a grudge against me for making you look stupid in a previous post. Don’t worry. I fully acknowledge that 99% of the credit for that must go to you.

May I suggest that if you want to continue this trade of insults, that you create a new thread especially for that purpose? That way we can keep the other threads clear of this kind of rubbish. Might I also suggest “DeliBoy is an A.H.â€Â
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Strike out "cross" and substitue New Yorker and delete socially correct and substitue it with "inclined to tell people to take a long walk off a short pier unlike everyone else. Otherwise its fine by me. Peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

OH geesh, settle down everyone.

Deliboy - Peter was showing he can be a nice guy by simply giving me the translations while I had my homework infront of me. I was just feeling indulgent and Peter was accomodating.

Peter - your a stickler aren't you! :lol:

Edited to add, I always thank people for contributing with helpful intent.
Image 'If you never open doors to let anyone in, no one can get in, but neither can you get out.'
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Your the light of my life!!!!!Peter
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

DeliBoy,
My intent was not to offend you and if I have done so,
then accept my apology.

In reading your post I did re-learn something taught to me
long ago, and that is not to lower myself to someone else's
level.

However it is in my nature to stand up for myself and
others.

wldspirit
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

Wldspirit, you didn't do anything more than be a nice person, and yet again you prove how great you are by not being offended at Deli's offense.. (if that makes sense)... I said it before... I like you. I think you are a good person.

~Amy
Image 'If you never open doors to let anyone in, no one can get in, but neither can you get out.'
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear Wildspirit I realize that I may have been a little tough on you but what I really want t you to be is aware of what people are saying when they say it and how they say it. I had the good fortune to be trained in analysis and am sensitive (sometimes super sensistive) to what they are feeling or saying. You have to realize being brought up on the mean streets of NYC also gives you the moxie to know who from who. Combine the two and I breathe fire. Keep plugging away at genealogy. Peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

I should invite you all to my regular forum, its specifically for drama, and its lots of fun.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

can I come too! Peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

:twisted: :lol:
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

I came into this forum, not so much to seek the assistance of others, as to connect with people possibly researching my ancestrial lines. (And WOW did I just have a hit on my Grandmother's line). As well I hoped to help people, with my extensive experience in Italian genealogical research. I have been at it with a passion for 17 years. This forum is filled with wonderful, helpful people, too many to name here However there is a thorn on this rose, (AmyT no offense please), but this man is not a nice person. Thread after thread are filled with his rudeness and insults.
Often replies are based upon mere recitation of data without the awareness of knowing the level of competence they are dealing with and assuming things far beyond the ken or wishes of the person making an inquiry. On top of all this they are not even awre of their own limitations and presume professional status!!! All I see is a series of screw up fairies on the forum.
You are not the moderator Ptimber. Attacking a poster for trying to help, or an inquiree for asking the "wrong" question is not your purpose here.
I am not trying to defend or speak for any of you who have been the brunt of his egotistical comments, but rather point out that there ARE people (many are newbies) who are RELUCTANT to post because of these comments, and that AmyT, is just not something any of us should tolerate. I mean don't we want people to feel free to post an inquiry? Or better yet try and help someone out?

Jim
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

James,

No offense taken I assure you. While I agree that Peter shouldn't go around bullying everyone, I don't think that is his intent.

I like what Wldspirit said in the very beginning of the post.

Amy

Edited to say: I don't think its a good practice to take offense when someone doesn't agree with me. Differences make the world go round. Really there are so many more things for me to worry about. A couple I knew was on their honeymoon in Thailand, they are presumed dead. A friend of mine who is a new father just found out he had brain cancer. 10 years from now, this post really won't matter.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

I agree Amy that is a great post. Being a rude, obnoxious, egotistical and offensive person is quite a different thing from presenting a different opinion politely and with respect. I haven't been here very long, and in my browsing through the threads, I could not believe some of the things he said to people, and continues to. In any case, you guys are all so wonderful here, sad that one person can be so unpleasant and take away from that. It's evident I will just have to ignore his posts, as there is nothing that can be done, he will troll on and on.

Jim
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

Honestly James, you or anyone could have been rude and belittling to me and I still couldn't take offense. This is a forum. Things are put into text that have no honest way of revealing tone, or an appreciation for body language. Aside from that, I try to take responsibility for my own levels of sensitivity and to whom I bestow the power to offend me. My judge of character or lack thereof is my own.

Yes, I've seen Peter be hard on people, and rude to those I wouldn't have been rude to. I do have to acknowledge what is there. That doesn't preclude general character, but to me rather an impatience and frustration in this general arena of genealogy. ONE facet is hardly going to show all of the colors of a human being. Again, I am flawed, so it could just be me.

In the mean time I think everyone is very helpful and eager to please, which are wonderful traits. I am very grateful to you all.

Edited to add: Okay, so now lets all play an Italian word game!!
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear James your comments are cleverly designed to mask your inability to distinguish between a demand for excellence in this forum and your effete demand for polieness and respect. You may see rudeness, obnoxious, egotistical and offensive (any more adjectives?????) but not see that I see none of the above and somehow among my peers it is not a problem but apparently for you it is and I question your motives and personality the way you question me. You have surrounded yourself with wannabes and being lead soprano in this chorus of outrage makes me chuckle. You know, James in the end its all a matter of Testosterone. Peter