Correct Pronunciation.....

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Correct Pronunciation.....

Post by wldspirit »

I was recently told that my nonno's nickname was "Bionde".
Since this info came in written form I was wondering what the
correct pronunciation would be?

wldspirit

Cupi, Grifoni, Rapetti and Santoni surnames
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Correct Pronunciation.....

Post by ptimber »

BE-YOHN-DI Peter
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Thank you Peter.........

wldspirit :D
DeliBoy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeliBoy »

I swear I am not just commenting as a way of winding up Peter.

I think I mostly agree with Peter's BE-YONH bit. But I would just like to clarify that this is just one syllable. The I merges into the O without a diphthong, in a very similar way to how I would pronounce the start of English word “beyondâ€Â
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

DeliBoy wrote: Maybe part of my problem here is that I don’t know what the various American regional accents sound like.

--

Can anyone give me an example of a famous person with an Illinois accent? (if that is that what ill is short for).
Deliboy,

There are too many accents to really associate one way or another. As far as I am concerned, I'm fairly convinced that there is proper English (americanized) and improper (americanized) ~ as well as a correct way to pronounce something and an incorrect way to pronounce something.

For instance. My husband used to say cement as 'see-ment', this was like nails on chalkboard for me. I firmly corrected that to 'seh-ment' (I'm not good with phonetically spelling things) but you get the point.

He was born in southwest Louisiana. Everyone there acknowledges they don't pronounce things correctly but they speak like that anyway.

I myself have lived in Chicago (chicaahhhhgo), and there is a difference even from city to suburb in the entire state and there is NO set accent.

It would be very difficult to distinguish one accent from another if your not familiar with state to state sterotypes and idiocyncrasies.

~ sorry I couldn't be more help.

Amy
Image 'If you never open doors to let anyone in, no one can get in, but neither can you get out.'
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Does anyone know of somewhere we can upload .wav files?

http://www.free-webhosts.com/free-image ... php?sort=3

see "BESTUPLOAD" at the bottom of the page.

BestUpload - No signup is required at "Best Upload". They offer free webhosting for images, music, documents, Flash, compressed files, and other file types. Hotlinking allowed (can be used for messageboard signatures, ebay auction pics, photos at websites, etc.).
Limitations: Filetypes supported: TXT, JPG, GIF, BMP, PNG, SWF, JPEG, ARJ, RAR, ZIP, ACE, EXE, TXT, NFO, TXT, DOC, MP3, WAV, XLS, PDF; Files are hosted as long they are active, which means they delete files that haven't been loaded for 30 days; Max filesize is 600 KB.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Hi DeliBoy,

To answer a few of your questions, yes the Ill stands for Illinois, the s being silent.

I agree with Amy, there is proper English and improper English. Improper English can vary from state to state, culture to culture.

Brad Pitt is from here in the midwest, Cindy Crawford is from Illinois as is
John Belushi, and his brother Jim.

I don't feel we have an accent here in the midwest, and if we do, then it is not as noticeable as say, someone from Texas or Louisianna.

wldspirit
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

Wldspirit ~

The midwest to me definitely has a flavor of sound but it's not very noticeable.. When I lived in Dallas, they all thought I sounded like a news broadcaster, the anti-accent, which is actually proper pronounciation.. I think that just comes from living in a few different states while my language was developing LOL..

Even within Texas, if your from East Texas you are barely understandable to anyone from Dallas. If you live actually anywhere on the east border of Texas the accent is THICK. Whereas more towards El Paso its still slow yes, but a lot easier to understand.

Amy
Image 'If you never open doors to let anyone in, no one can get in, but neither can you get out.'
varney

Post by varney »

Being a newcomer to this website, I must say how interesting it is to see the way Italian geneology has crossed the culture of huge parts of the world. My auntie is a native Italian & her pronunciation more closely matches that of Deliboy rather than the example supplied by ptimber, but maybe that is a reflection of the way we read & pronounce vowels in England.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Varney what would an englishman know about pronunciation of a foreign language??Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear assorted AD HOMINEMS Italian is pronounced as it is written in most cases and biondi is biondi and all the pronunciations emanating from orfiices to date mine included are correct. If all of you wish to do the dance of the 7 veils be my guest. The hardiness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear assorted AD HOMINEMS Italian is pronounced as it is written in most cases and biondi is biondi and all the pronunciations emanating from orfiices to date mine included are correct. If all of you wish to do the dance of the 7 veils be my guest. The hardiness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »