Allegati help and mystery of my 3-great grandfather

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
bvbellomo
Veteran
Veteran

Allegati help and mystery of my 3-great grandfather

Post by bvbellomo »

I am hoping this record sheds some light on what I don't know about my family.

I was told from my father that my great-great-grandmother was Maria Schimmente. She had at least 4 sons, Michael (the oldest), Giuseppe(my great-grandfather), Sam/Salvator(my father found his family nearby) and Santo and her husband's name was Domenico. I think some of this was influenced by my Dad looking at records, but at least some of these names my grandfather knew and talked about. My father had 2 other possible names for his great-grandfather in his notes - Cipriano and Gandolfo.

I Giuseppe's marriage record, and it lists his father as 'Domenico'. This fits the naming pattern too, as I have 'Domenico Bellomo' as his grandfather.

I found a marriage Cipriano Bellomo to Maria Caterina Schimmente in 1882.

I found a birth record of Santi Michele Bellomo in 1883 listing Domenico Bellomo and Maria Caterina Schimmente.

I found a birth record of Giuseppe Bellomo in 1888 and Salvatore Bellomo in 1893 listing Cipriano Bellomo and Maria Caterina Schimmente.

I found an Ellis Island record for Cipriano Bellomo.

I found a death record in 1896 for Cipriano Bellomo in Polizzi Generosa 1 year after his Ellis Island record.

Michele, Giuseppe and Salvatore have Ellis Island records saying they are going to Cleveland to visit their mother. Maria remarried and went to Cleveland to visit her new husband's uncle. I have her new marriage, her Ellis Island record and census records in Cleveland.

If you are thinking maybe there are 2 different people named "Maria Caterina Schimmente" (or 2 of anyone else) I have multiple records with almost everyone's ages, parents names and/or place of birth.

Attached is a document from Cipriano Bellomo and Maria Caterina Schimmente's Allegeti. I am convinced it might give more information, but I can't read it.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3322562/gggfather/1.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3322562/gggfather/2.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3322562/gggfather/3.jpg
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Allegati help and mystery of my 3-great grandfather

Post by suanj »

Polizzi Generosa 26 sep 1857
Gesualda Schimmenti, midwife, presented a baby boy born from unknown parents and the civil records officer give it the name of Cipriano Belvedere....

On 31 aug 1858 Emmanuele Bellomo married at Giuseppa Barravecchia and in same time recognized as own child Cipriano Belvedere giving the right surname Bellomo so becoming Cipriano BELLOMO.

Maria Caterina Schimmenti born in Polizzi Generosa on 18 aug 1861, daughter of Michele Schimmenti and Francesca Liponi
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
bvbellomo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bvbellomo »

Wow, but I still don't understand. Did Emmanuele Bellomo adopt an unrelated child named Cipriano Belvedere and give it his family name? Or did Emmanuele Bellomo come forward and say he was the biological father? If this was the case, then was Giuseppa Barravecchia his biological mother?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

the second option is ok; they was the biological parents of Cipriano, but they was unmarried;
they married in 1858 8 1 year after Cipriano birth) and recognized the child giving the right surname: Bellomo; the family was so complete..
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
bvbellomo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bvbellomo »

This is amazing, thanks! Me and my father have probably been wondering about this for 10 years.