asking same question, different forum!

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran

asking same question, different forum!

Postby elmosgirl » 07 Aug 2012, 15:48

Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:27 pm

Questioning the transcription of names

When searching for ancestors: (using 'Smith' as example)

some records are for SMITH.
some are for DI SMITH.
All are in the same little comune.

Is it possible the records reflect the same lineage?
Same family descendents/progenitors?
Was the preface -DI- dropped through the years?

Or, is this an example of misunderstanding on the part of a transcriber, since Italian records often note 'di' when recording a birth, a baptism, a marriage, etc. (just as they might use 'fu')???

Can I safely build a (probable) family tree with both SMITH and DI SMITH records??

I hope my explanation/questions make sense and I hope someone on the board, knowledgeable about Italian names, can help!

I just received an email today from a comune with another record where this is an issue for me.

Thanks.

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: asking same question, different forum!

Postby adelfio » 07 Aug 2012, 16:46

Sometimes Ive have seen through the mix of church and civil records the use of Di or De is picked up or dropped through records because of dialect or the translation between italian and church latin translation. Are most of the change in surname in earlier records that this occurs in?
As long as the records are verfied through parental lineage you should be good to go

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran

Re: asking same question, different forum!

Postby elmosgirl » 07 Aug 2012, 18:28

Thanks for your reply,Marty.

Yes, the 'di' occurs in earlier civil records of marriage (pre-1850).

However, and this is important, the records are not ones I've seen myself but are transcribed in Family Search.

That's why I'm more than a little skeptical about transcription issues.

The names may well have had a 'di' in them; or, the 'di' may show up because of lack of familiarity with Italian records on the part of SE Asian transcribers.

Does this make sense?

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”