One more I believe wedding phot I need translated

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Dach
Rookie
Rookie

One more I believe wedding phot I need translated

Post by Dach »

Was wondering if someone could translate the back of this photo It looks to be a wedding photo, a lady in a pretty dress by herself holding flowers.

Thank-you so much for your time
http://s19.postimage.org/ui73tjwur/scan0002.jpg
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: One more I believe wedding phot I need translated

Post by PippoM »

"Questa foto te la manda Giosefina insegno di riconoscenza. è vestita con l'abito che aveva fatto la commare ad una sposa e pure ci fece la commare a Teresa nostra sorella. Tanti saluti cari e spero che presto verrai. Abbi saluti da parte di Jiosephina"

Josephine sends you this picture in gratitude. She wears the dress that the "comare" made for a bride and that also made for our sister Teresa. Many Greetings, and hope you come soon. Also greetings from Josephine.

Notes:
It is written in a somehow "vague" Italian...
The "comare" is literally a godmother, but in many places this word is used to mean a family friend or a well known (by the family) person.
"L'abito che aveva fatto": literally means "the dress she made", but in some dialect "fare" (very generic verb) also means "give", so "the dress she gave her as a present".
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Dach
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dach »

Thank-you so much for your time in doing this for me, and also for the added description and information it is very helpful! Thank-you !!!!!
MaryMena
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MaryMena »

In this case "comare" means "maid of honour". She was also the maid of honour "for our sister, Teresa".

MaryMena
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

MaryMena, I think you are right...I understand the meaning: "she wore a (pretty) dress as she had been the maid of honour for a bride, and also was a maid of honour for our sister Teresa".
The Italian word "che", here stands in spoken language for the correct "poiché" ("as"), instead of "la quale" ("that").
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.