names on death record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

names on death record

Postby dmt1955 » 06 Sep 2012, 02:47

http://postimage.org/image/avhgnomhl/
death record #468 - Don Francesco Purcaro

http://postimage.org/image/q3snc1qk7/ (page 1 - bottom left)
http://postimage.org/image/jq0w5bx6t/ (page 2- top few lines)
death record #29 of Don Salvatore - which is in two files

i have a couple of questions re: names and am interested in your thoughts:

1. would Don Francesco be the actual name or would Don be a title of respect? (he has a twin brother Don Salvatore)

2. same question re: father's name Don Gabriele

3. Mother's name - Donna Maddelena same question- would her name be Donna Maddelena or is the Donna a title of respect? what is her last name? is her last name de Fillippo(not sure of the spelling) OR is she the daughter of Fillippo(?)

thanks for your efforts,
donna
www.MyItalianFamilies.com
Researching: Purcaro, Raimo, Rizzo, Scaglione, Troisi, Masucci
Locations: Ariano (di Puglia) Irpino, Volturrara, Altavilla, Zungoli
dmt1955
Master
Master

Re: names on death record

Postby Tessa78 » 06 Sep 2012, 02:58

Hello Donna! :-)

In these records it would appear that "Don" is a title of respect...

Mother is also addressed with the title "Donna" - I believe her surname is De Filippis - a name found in Ariano.

INFO from wiki
Italy

Officially, Don was the style for a principe or duca (and any legitimate, male-line descendant) who was a member of the nobility (as distinct from a reigning prince or duke, who was generally entitled to some form of the higher style of Altezza). This was how the style was used in the Almanach de Gotha for extant families in its third section. The feminine, "Donna", was borne by their wives and daughters. Genealogical databases and dynastic works still reserve the title for this class of noble by tradition, although it is no longer a right under Italian law.

In practice, however, the style Don/Donna (or Latin Dominus/Domina) was used more loosely in church, civil and notarial records. The honorific was often accorded to the untitled gentry (e.g., knights or younger sons of noblemen), priests, or other people of distinction. It was, over time, adopted by organized criminal societies in Southern Italy (including Naples, Sicily, and Calabria) to refer to members who held considerable sway within their hierarchies.

Today in Italy, the title is widely given everywhere only to Diocesan Catholic priests, (never for prelates, who bear higher honorifics such as monsignore, eminenza and so on). Outside of the priesthood or old nobility, usage is now fairly uncommon in the south and rarely if ever used in central or northern Italy. It can be used satirically or ironically to lampoon a person's sense of self-importance.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby dmt1955 » 06 Sep 2012, 03:57

tessa,
thanks so much for taking the time to include this information.

my grandmother had mentioned she had uncles in the church. i wonder if these two men were them... from your experience, would the death record of a priest be different from a non-clergy or in how the priest status was recorded?

or would you venture to guess that because the the parents were also recorded with the title, that this was just a wealthy family?

donna
dmt1955
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 06 Sep 2012, 18:24

dmt1955 wrote:tessa,
thanks so much for taking the time to include this information.

my grandmother had mentioned she had uncles in the church. i wonder if these two men were them... from your experience, would the death record of a priest be different from a non-clergy or in how the priest status was recorded?
Parroco = parish priest
In the above death acts, both of these men have professions listed. One is a "proprietario" (landowner) and the other does not look like "parroco" -- So my thoughts are that they have the title "Don" because they were from a highly respected, probably wealthy, family. :-)

or would you venture to guess that because the the parents were also recorded with the title, that this was just a wealthy family?

donna
Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby dmt1955 » 06 Sep 2012, 18:57

that makes a lot of sense.

thank you thank you thank you
donna