*** There is a problem with new registrations - Contact us when you did not receive an activation email ***

Help Deciphering Handwritten Birth Record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Help Deciphering Handwritten Birth Record

Postby ndabbraccio » 07 Sep 2012, 00:12

Hello,

I was wondering if someone can help me decipher the handwritten birth record (Atti di Nascita) of my Great Grandfather. I typically can read the records in the standard Atti di Nascita format but it looks like the commune ran out of pre-printed pages and had to hand write all of the data.

Information:

Name: Giovanni Vitello
Commune: Piedimonte Alife (now Piedimonte Matese)
I can make out the birth year to be 1895 and it looks like the month of June. I know he was adopted after his birth.

The record starts on the bottom of one page and continues onto a second page (2 pages in PDF).

https://app.dumptruck.goldenfrog.com/p/UjgOCyGGyT

I am have a hard time making out the hand writting, if someone can transcribe/translate it I would sincerely appreciate it.

Thank you!
ndabbraccio

Re: Help Deciphering Handwritten Birth Record

Postby Tessa78 » 07 Sep 2012, 18:29

Hello and welcome! :-D

Is there anyway to upload this image to http://www.postimage.org?
Your post requires a download - not a favored option :?

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby ndabbraccio » 07 Sep 2012, 23:20

I have uploaded the document as two image files:

http://postimage.org/image/eupadgo31/

and

http://postimage.org/image/79r35dym1/

Thanks!
ndabbraccio

Postby Tessa78 » 08 Sep 2012, 04:40

I'll do my best :-)

First, let me say there is a notation in the left column under his name. It is a marriage notation that looks like - on 19 October 1900, in Castello di Alife, he married with Filomena M????.

The birth record is dated 28 June 1885 at 9:30 AM at the town hall in Piedmonte di Alife.
Before the official, Nicola Torti, appeared Caterina de Cristofaro, daughter of deceased Raffaele, age 68, caretaker of the Proietti(abandoned), to say that a male child was found at the wheel of the abandoned on day 27 of the current month of June at 6 AM. The official viewed the child who appeared to be of about one day old, and declared that it would be consigned to a nurse to be raised. The official gave the child the name Giovanni and the surname Vitello.
The declarant [de Cristofaro] presented witnesses to this act - Girolamo Orsini, son of deceased Vincenzo, age 49; and Giuseppe Barone, son of deceased Luigi, age 35, a municipal guard; both residing in this comune.

The right column also has a notation, though it is very difficult to read. However, I can see a date and some names. Maybe you can make sense of those... :-)
Date given looks like 12 March 1900
Names appear to be Giuseppe d'Abbraccio, son of deceased ???, and Marianna Bes???, daughter of deceased Giovanni; of Castello di Alife.

Hope this helps :-)

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 08 Sep 2012, 04:53

[quote="Tessa78"]I'll do my best :-)

First, let me say there is a notation in the left column under his name. It is a marriage notation that looks like - on 19 October 1900, in Castello di Alife, he married with Filomena M????.

As to the info above-

I believe that the spouse's name in the notation on the left reads Missere, then M with a small "a" in the air for the name "Maria," followed by the name Filomena. So her name was either Maria Filomena, or Filomena Maria, Missere.
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby ndabbraccio » 08 Sep 2012, 16:31

Thanks Everyone!

Giovanni was in fact Married to Maria Filomena Missere and adopted by Giuseppe D'Abbraccio. Giovanni's marriage record states that his father is Giuseppe.

We always new someone down our family line was adopted because we carried two surnames Vitello D'Abbraccio. Now we know who and the circumstances around it.

Thanks again.
ndabbraccio

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations