Help Translate Marriage and Birth Records

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
ponti46
Rookie
Rookie

Help Translate Marriage and Birth Records

Post by ponti46 »

I received the attached records from the Parrocchia di San Domenico Soriano in Naples today, and need your help translating them. There was a note enclosed with the documents, that I attached to the bottom of the marriage record.

The marriage record of Giuseppe Ponticelli and Teresa Di Giulio. I believe it provides their date of births and the town where they were born, but I'm not sure. http://s19.postimage.org/mq787yv37/Gius ... rriage.jpg

The birth record of Giovanni Ponticelli:
http://s19.postimage.org/pzlnefj6n/Giov ... _Birth.jpg

The birth record of Luigi Ponticelli:
http://s19.postimage.org/d6xjei7kz/Luig ... _Birth.jpg

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ralph
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Help Translate Marriage and Birth Records

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello Ralph :-D
Welcome to the forum!

The note you attached to the marriage image indicates that there are no other results [of the search?]

At the top of each image is written that the following certificate conformed to the original. It then gives the register number, and was dated and stamped by the person sending the record to you.

The first is a church marriage, and the others are baptism records.

Marriage
Dated 22 May 1880

Banns were announced on 4, 11, and 18 April of the current year
No impediments were found to this marriage taking place.
The persons questioned [this refers to the ceremony and the "do you..."]were:
Giuseppe Ponticelli, son of Antonio, baptized 29 November 1850 at Parish...(cut off)
Teresa di Giulio, daughter of Luigi, baptized 4 October 1854 at Parish of S. Maria Ogni ??? (hard to read)
Both were single, marriage performed by Don Gennaro C???
Witnesses: Vincenzo Tortora, son of Biagio; and Pasquale de Maio, son of Francesco; and others.

The baptism record for Giovanni is much too small to read. Maybe you can repost it using the "Thumbnails for forum 1"

BAPTISM
Dated 15 November 1885
Baptism administered by D. Michelangelo Coluuci, delegated by the parish priest Don Vincenzo Milone.
The child was born on the 15 November @ 8 AM to
Giuseppe Ponticelli and Teresa di Giulio - married couple residing at Via Cavone #46.
Name given the child was LUIGI GUGLIELMO
Godmother was Caterina Palmese
Midwife was the same.

Hope that helps :-)

T.
ponti46
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ponti46 »

Hi T,

Thanks for your help.

The marriage information should be enough to get copies of my great-grandparents birth records, and the same for the baptismal info on my grandfather Luigi.

I don't know what happened to Giovanni's record, so I'm posting it again.

http://s19.postimage.org/svciqirc3/Giov ... aptism.jpg

I hope this work this time.

Thanks again,

...Ralph
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

This baptism record is dated 15 July 1881
Baptized by Don Carmine Pirone was a male child born on 14 July at 5 AM to Giuseppe Porticelli and Teresa di Giulio, married couple, residing Strada Cavone #213.
The name given to the child was Giovanni Carmine.
Godmother was Carmela Papaccio(?), midwife was the same.

Glad to have helped, Ralph :-D

T.
ponti46
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ponti46 »

Thanks again T,

You truly are a Master.

I have one last question. Since this is the first time that I've dealt directly with a church, I'd like to send them a small donation for their assistance, but I don't want to insult them. Is there a required or acceptable amount to show my appreciation?

Thanks again, you've been a great help.

...Ralph
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

ponti46 wrote:Thanks again T,

You truly are a Master.

I have one last question. Since this is the first time that I've dealt directly with a church, I'd like to send them a small donation for their assistance, but I don't want to insult them. Is there a required or acceptable amount to show my appreciation?

Thanks again, you've been a great help.

...Ralph

There is no set amount. As with any donation...you should send what you feel is appropriate to show your gratitude, and comfortable to your situation. :-)
Keep in mind that the US dollar is worth less than the Euro. So, $25 donation would be worth 19.52 Euros.

T.
ponti46
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ponti46 »

Thanks again T.

Euros it is.

...Ralph