1849 Marriage Record from Sicily

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

1849 Marriage Record from Sicily

Postby Haztek » 09 Sep 2012, 17:34

I am finding the writing hard to read!
Record #20
In the year 1849, 24 November at 10:08 am before the Mayor of the Comune of Raccuja, District of Patti (?) at the town hall of Messina appeared Salvadore LoGrande, age 34, born in Raccuja, District of Patti (?), Messina, Profession of Borgese (?), living in Raccuja, son of Santo, age 60 (sessanta), Profession of Borgese (?), living in Raccuja, and Rosa Marino,age 70 (settanta) (10 years older than her husband???), living in Raccuja,
AND Rosalia Morello, age 23, born in Raccuja, living in Raccuja, daughter of Carmelo, age 60, profession of laborer, living in Raccuja, and Sabatina Sal_ _ (?), age 60, living in Raccuja.

Right side of Image: 1849, 24 November parish of ___ (?)

Thanks, jerry
Image 1: http://postimage.org/image/6gdp8v95n/

Image 2: http://postimage.org/image/7o5oxeu8l/

I have added an image of the Index as to get another view of the names:
http://postimage.org/image/kqvrcnkph/
Researching Crispino, Simeone, Cillo, & Girardi in Rotondi & Cervinara. Malvuccio, Lo Grande, Astone, & Munforti in Raccuja.
Haztek
Master
Master

Re: 1849 Marriage Record from Sicily

Postby erudita74 » 09 Sep 2012, 17:56

The district was Patti. That is correct. Also the occupation of borgese is also correct. I've also seen it written as borghese- member of the middle class.

Morrello's first name appears to be Rosaria and not Rosalia. The father of the bride was deceased.

However, if the one page you have with the document belongs to this record, then there is additional info handwritten there. For documents needed for the marriage (second image, bottom left), it lists the act of death of the parents of the groom, and it also lists the act of death of the grandfather, I believe of the bride. It also lists a death act for the first husband of the bride whose name was Carmelo di Perna.

Sabatina's last name was Salupo.

The parish name is not given-it says the parish of this town.

Just for your information, there are some more recent records online, available at familysearch.org, in case you should need these-

Italy, Messina, Patti, Civil Registration (Tribunale), 1823-1941
Registro e L'Anno

Raccuia
Allegati (matrimoni) 1912-1916
Allegati (matrimoni) 1913
Allegati (matrimoni) 1914
Allegati (matrimoni) 1915
Allegati (matrimoni) 1919
Allegati (matrimoni) 1920
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby Haztek » 09 Sep 2012, 20:18

Thank you erudita74 for your help.

I have one question: do I have the ages correct? Is the wife of Santo 10 years older than he is?

Thank you for your assistance,

jerry
Researching Crispino, Simeone, Cillo, & Girardi in Rotondi & Cervinara. Malvuccio, Lo Grande, Astone, & Munforti in Raccuja.
Haztek
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 09 Sep 2012, 20:32

You have the ages correct. She was 10 years older.
erudita74
Master
Master

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations