Help with 1922 Marriage Documents Caruso/Zappala

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Help with 1922 Marriage Documents Caruso/Zappala

Postby DP17 » 02 Oct 2012, 21:19

I have both the Banns and the Marriage Record. Could someone help with the details I am missing? I am particularly interested in getting the bride's mother's surname correct as that opens up a whole new family line for me. I'm also curious about the occupations of those with question marks. I really appreciate all the help I've been getting as I am learning to read these. Constructive criticism welcome!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6wiv44rl0z5cwl5/Maria%20and%20Carmelo%20Caruso%20Pub%20Matrimonio%201.jpg

Marriage Banns

Posted on June 4th, 11th, and 14th

Recorded on June 1, 1922 at 10 am in the Town Hall by the official record keeper, Giuseppe Cavalli, lawyer and Mayor of San Giovanni La Punta.

Appeared Carmelo Caruso, celibe? (unmarried male?) age 29 occupation shoemaker and resident of Pedara.

Son of Giuseppe age 69 occupation???? (looks like Zudus?e?sso) resident of Pedara and of Giovanna Pappalardo, housewife, and resident of Pedara.

???? (Epuce?) ????? Giovanni Zappala age 59? occupation ??? (possibly contadino-peasant farmer) resident of this town and father of Maria Zappala age 18 ??? (could it be nubile?) occupation housewife and resident of this town.

Daughter of Caterina ??? (could be Calu??zno) housewife and resident of this town.

They have requested me to make the publication of marriage in this office which they intend to celebrate these newlyweds Carmelo Caruso and Maria Zappala. They have declared that the groom was born in Pedara, the bride in San Giovanni La Punta. The groom has lived from one year to today in residence in the town of Pedara, his wife in this town. They have no adoptive parents.

The declarations are verified by taking an oath in the legal form. Witnesses are Dominico ??? (Confoli?) age 38 occupation ??? and Natale ??? (Pedruo?) age 41 occupation ???

The publication will be posted here and in Pedara. The documents are the copies of the birth records of the spouses issued by the official clerks here and of Pedara. ??? something about the 21st of May...??? Everyone who is able to signed except those who could not because they are illiterate. The witness Natale seems to possibly have a title Di Prima?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqigtxrq2xyfnk2/Maria%20and%20Carmelo%20atti%20matrimonio%201.jpg

Marriage Record

Recorded on June 21, 1922 at 10:30am in the Town Hall of San Giovanni La Punta. Open to the public? Appeared before me, Francesco Cantone? Dotto? ??? the offical record keeper dressed in official uniform, I personally appeared.

Carmelo Caruso unmarried man? age 29 occupation shoemaker born in Pedara, resident of Pedara. Son of Giuseppe, resident of Pedara and of Giovanna Pappalardo, resident of Pedara.

Maria Zappala, unmarried woman? age 18 occupation housewife born in this town and resident of this town. Daughter of Giovanni, resident of this town and of Caterina ? (Calvagno?)(Calvazno) resident of this town.

(Google translate helped me with this part so essentially...) I have been asked to join them in marriage. I presented the document and compared it to the pubblicazioni previously recorded. Nothing prevents the celebration of their marriage. I read the articles 130, 131, and 132 of the Civil Code. The husband intends to marry the wife presented here, Maria Zappala and she intends to marry him, Carmelo Caruso.

In the act, the witnesses present were Dominico ? (Confoli?) age 41 occupation ??? and ??? (Giuseppe Maresi) age 46 occupation ???

Documents presented were the pubblicazioni in Pedara, ??? something about the 11th of June...??? All present signed and it seems Giuseppe and Francesco possibly have titles/abbreviations?
DP17
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Help with 1922 Marriage Documents Caruso/Zappala

Postby paola52 » 03 Oct 2012, 21:22

Horrible handwriting !

Yes Carmelo Caruso is celibe and Maria nubile (both unmarried)

Before the name of Giovanni Zappalà there is “E’ pure comparso” meaning “also appeared before me”
Yes Giovanni is a contadino
Sorry I can’t decipher the surname of Caterina
Witnesses Domenico ? Consoli and Natale di Prima ? The occupation of both is impiegato, meaning clerk (very often the clerks of a comune were called to witness official documents)
The birth certificate of the groom was issued the 22 may in Pedara

The groom signed (it is a strange signature, it is possible that he had only learned to sign his name, not to write properly) Both witnesses signed (a good handwriting, but then they were clerks)
The parents of the bride did not sign because they were illitterated

Ciao
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan
paola52
Veteran
Veteran

Postby DP17 » 04 Oct 2012, 17:14

Thanks Paola!

For Caterina, I found Calcagno in an Italian surnames guide and another record from the town written by someone else that could be Calvagno.

Now that I see the "I" in impiegato I'm trying to match up the groom's father's occupation with something in a glossary of professions. I'm not having much luck. I'm curious about what my great-great grandfather did for a living.
DP17
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tessa78 » 04 Oct 2012, 21:44

DP17 wrote:Thanks Paola!

For Caterina, I found Calcagno in an Italian surnames guide and another record from the town written by someone else that could be Calvagno.

Now that I see the "I" in impiegato I'm trying to match up the groom's father's occupation with something in a glossary of professions. I'm not having much luck. I'm curious about what my great-great grandfather did for a living.

I believe it reads "industrioso" - manufacturer, trader :-)

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 05 Oct 2012, 13:54

I believe Caterina's surname is Calvagno which is found in Catania Province.

The witness Domenico's surname is Consoli.
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby DP17 » 05 Oct 2012, 19:46

Thank you Tessa and Erudita! I'm so happy to have found this forum.
DP17
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tessa78 » 05 Oct 2012, 22:16

DP17 wrote:Thank you Tessa and Erudita! I'm so happy to have found this forum.

:D
T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations