Typing letters with accents on a laptop

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Typing letters with accents on a laptop

Postby MindyP » 04 Feb 2005, 16:21

Hi everyone - ciao a tutti! :D

I have a question about typing letters with accents. I am in the U.S., and I know the codes to do it on a desktop computer, but it doesn't work on my laptop. Anyone have a way to type letters with accents using a U.S. keyboard on a laptop computer (Dell, if that matters). Grazie mille!

--Mindy
Impariamo L'Italiano :: Let's Learn Italian
A free forum for lovers of Italian language, art and culture
http://www.impariamo.com/forum
MindyP

Re: Typing letters with accents on a laptop

Postby DeliBoy » 04 Feb 2005, 18:00

In Windows, you could use Character Map. (Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Character Map on my XP system)

Click on the character you want, click select, copy, alt tab back into whatver other program you were using, then paste.

A bit long winded, but it is possible.
DeliBoy
Rookie
Rookie

Postby DeliBoy » 04 Feb 2005, 18:08

The normal way does work. Sort of.

You can use the codes, say alt - 0232 = 'è' but you have to use the numeric keypad to do it. On a laptop keyboard this overrides some of the letter keys, so it is very fiddly.

You turn num lock on, type the code for the character you want, using those letters with blue numbers on, turn num lock off, then type the rest of the word.
DeliBoy
Rookie
Rookie

Postby BethW » 04 Feb 2005, 20:32

I don't know about Dell laptops, yet, but I use a Compaq laptop at work. If I'm using Word, both the Compaq and my Dell desktop let me get the "è" by typing "ctrl" + "`" and then the letter "e".
BethW
Rookie
Rookie

Postby arturo.c » 01 Dec 2014, 22:26

On some laptops you could use the "Fn" key next to the Alt key on the bottom left side of the keyboard and digit the ASCII codes for the accented characters.

For example:

Press and hold Alt and Fn together and digit (on the embedded keypad):
133 = à
138 = è
141 = ì
149 = ò
151 = ù

Google "ASCII character codes" for the full list.
arturo.c

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 03 Dec 2014, 20:49

Hi Arturo.c:
I'm glad you posted here because I have been having a few issues with using accents just this past week or so. (You may have noticed?) (Often, I just find the particular character needed and copy and paste, or if I'm short for time, do the “unforgiveable” and leave it, which is what has happened lately.) I have tried what you suggested here but it doesn't work for me. Anyways, I've had a little time now and have had a play on my newish laptop and discovered an incredibly easy way of adding accents/codes.

Click on “Insert”
Click on “Special Character”
Scroll down.
Click on the character you need.

Hopefully this info might be of use to someone with the same feature on their laptop
Angela :D
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations