Catelli/Gianfagna Atti di Matrimonio Translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Catelli/Gianfagna Atti di Matrimonio Translation

Post by DebiHarbuck »

I'd appreciate it if someone could double check me on this one:

Domenico Catelli, age 22, born in Campobasso, son of the deceased Antonio Catelli and of Antonia Ialenti, married Concetta Gianfagna, age 23, born in Campobasso, daughter of Michelangelo Gianfagna and Cristina del Greco, on 03 NOV 1881.

Thanks!

Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Catelli/Gianfagna Atti di Matrimonio Translation

Post by erudita74 »

Debi
Your translation looks good. Let us know if you need any other info from the record.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

That's as far as I could get...so any other info that might be there is appreciated!

Thanks!!
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

There were two witnesses to the act: Angelo Zita, age 70, a clerk, and Celestino Zantonelli (not sure about the first letter of the surname), age 29, also a clerk.

The document which the spouses presented for their marriage was the certificate of the publications which were executed in this town on two Sundays, the 9th and 16th of last October. Resulting from the act requesting the publications was the consent of the groom's mother to the above marriage.

I (referring to the town official) read the present act to all who intervened. The witnesses signed with the town official below, but the spouses did not, as they were illiterate.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Thanks so much!
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Also, can you confirm that both the groom & bride's occupation is 'Contadino' - peasant farmer?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Both spouses were 'contadini'
I believe that the groom's mother is Antonia Talenti.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

liviomoreno wrote:Both spouses were 'contadini'
I believe that the groom's mother is Antonia Talenti.
The mother's surname is Ialenti and not Talenti. Ialenti is also a current surname in the town, if you check the Italian white pages.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Agree on Ialenti...
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Debi
I sent you a private message.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Domenico Catelli, age 22, born in Campobasso, son of the deceased Antonio Catelli and of Antonia Ialenti, married Concetta Gianfagna, age 23, born in Campobasso, daughter of Michelangelo Gianfagna and Cristina del Greco, on 03 NOV 1881.
Domenico Catelli and Concetta Gianfagna were married 03 NOV 1888 in CB. Source: Campobasso (Campobasso), Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1733313/MATRIMONI 1881/Numero 85, 03 NOV 1881.

The surname Ialenti is not indigenous to the town of Campobasso. The bride's mother, Antonia Ialenti was born in Campolieto, a small town located about 20 km from Campobasso. She was born 10 AUG 1822, the daughter of Giuseppe Ialenti and Marianna Petrucci. Source: Campobasso (Campobasso), Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1443308/PROCESSETTI 1848/No. del Reg. 51/foglio 3, 25 AUG 1848. On her death record, she is known as Mariantonia Ialento. Source: Campobasso (Campobasso), Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1733318/MORTI 1884/Parte I/Numero 97, 19 MAY 1884.

The surname Catelli appeared in Campobasso about 350 years ago. It originated elsewhere with Domenico Catelli, born circa 1663 in Gildone, a small town about 14 km from Campobasso. Domenico Catelli married a woman from Campobasso named Dorodea Iocca and they raised their family in Campobasso. Source: Parrocchia di S. Maria Maggiore - Cattedrale (SS.ma Trinità), Registri della Parrocchia, Battesimi Libro V/Folio 254/No. 2, 22 JAN 1693, Parrocchia di S. Maria Maggiore, La Cattedrale della Santissima Trinità, Piazza Prefettura, 86100 CAMPOBASSO (CB), Italia.

The surname del Greco is not indigenous to the town of Campobasso. The groom's mother, Cristina del Greco (aka Greco) was born in Busso, a small town located about 15 km from Campobasso. She was born 13 MAY 1825 in Busso, the daughter of Costanzo Greco and Maria Concetta Picciano. Source: Campobasso (Campobasso), Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1443310/PROCESSETTI 1851/No. del Reg. 22/foglio 4, 14 JAN 1851. She was known as Cristina Greco on the above sourced birth extract and del Greco on her death record. Source: Campobasso (Campobasso), Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1733447/MORTI 1907/Parte II/No. 34, 17 NOV 1907.

The surname Gianfagna (aka Gianfagno) first appeared in Campobasso about 300 years ago. It originated elsewhere with Nicola Gianfagna, born circa 1670 in Civita Campomarano, a small town about 35 km from Campobasso. Nicola Gianfagna married a woman from Campobasso named Isabella di Rosa in his first marriage and a woman from Campobasso named Antonia Ferrone in his second marriage. Both families were raised in Campobasso. Sources: Parrocchia di S. Maria Maggiore - Cattedrale (SS.ma Trinità), Registri della Parrocchia, Battesimi Libro VI/Folio 195at/No. 3, 20 OCT 1713, Parrocchia di S. Maria Maggiore, La Cattedrale della Santissima Trinità, Piazza Prefettura, 86100 CAMPOBASSO (CB), Italia; supra, Battesimi Libro VI/Folio 249at/No. 2, 02 APR 1718; supra, Battesimi Libro VIII/Folio 129/No. 3, 08 NOV 1734. Nicola Gianfagna is my 7GGF. In addition to this line, Concetta Gianfagna is also my 3C2R via my Picciano/Ranallo line.

I hope some of this info will serve as background fro your research.
John Armellino
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

John, thank you, so very much! I emailed you the info I have about Domenico & Concetta's family in the US; did you receive it?