1807 Atto di Nascita

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

1807 Atto di Nascita

Post by lcafarel »

Could someone please provide a transcription and translation of the last part of the sentence that begins with "Maria Rosa Cafarella"--the portion that begins with "al Archipresbytero." Are these the godparents' names that follow? Thanks very much.

Lesley
Attachments
Cafarella_Maria_Rosa_1807_Baptism.jpg
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: 1807 Atto di Nascita

Post by liviomoreno »

let me try..
Maria Rosa daughter of Libero Cafarella and of Assunta ???? was baptized on Sept 12 (1807) in the Archypresbytery ????, godparents Joannes (Giovanni) Agneta and Lucrezia Napolitano, born on Sep 9.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

liviomoreno wrote:let me try..
Maria Rosa daughter of Libero Cafarella and of Assunta ???? was baptized on Sept 12 (1807) in the Archypresbytery ????, godparents Joannes (Giovanni) Agneta and Lucrezia Napolitano, born on Sep 9.
First name of Cafarella is Liborio. Not sure the wife's first name is Assunta, but her surname looks like Ariano. I don't know about the abbreviation which follows that.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

erudita74 wrote:
First name of Cafarella is Liborio. Not sure the wife's first name is Assunta, but her surname looks like Ariano. I don't know about the abbreviation which follows that.
I am thinking that, after the parents' names, there might be the abbreviation for the word -coniuges -which means "married couple"

Here's a link that I found useful in trying to decipher some Latin records from one of my own ancestral towns. In that town, the relationships of the godparents to the child being baptized were often given.

http://www.genproxy.co.uk/latin.htm
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

This may be a better source-

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... _Word_List

Transcription of the last part of the document after the second part of the surname Napolitano -

nata die vero nona eiusdem

born this very day 9 the same (meaning the same month as previously given in the record)

I'm still trying to decipher the rest of the handwriting to give you an accurate transcription of the rest of the document. It's hard when you are rusty in the Latin language, but it's good practice for me.
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lcafarel »

erudita74 wrote:
erudita74 wrote:
Thanks. The parents' names are Liborio Cafarella and Argenzia Suriano. The first name with Napolitano looks to me like it's spelled with a t--Lucretia.

The word following Archipresbytero is D'Arecca. A Giuseppe D'Arecca, sacerdote, shows up as a witness in Argenzia Suriano's death record a few years after this baptism. I just posted a question about archipresbytero versus sacerdote in another thread.

Lesley
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I agree that in Latin it is written Lucretia Napolitano, in Italian it is translated Lucrezia.