Allegati help

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
bvbellomo
Veteran
Veteran

Allegati help

Post by bvbellomo »

I tried using FamilySearch's photoduplication to get an allegeti. It looks like they only sent the first 3 pages of a longer record.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3322562/record ... egeti1.pdf
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3322562/record ... egeti2.pdf
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3322562/record ... egeti3.pdf

Here is what I came up with for the first page:

Date of Wedding: February 14th 1830?

Groom: Vincenzo Ferrara
Born: Paleppriett?
Profession: Servidore?
Father: Paolo, dead at time of wedding
Mother: Carmella Tenco, dead but lived in Palermo?

Bride: Rosa Mazzola
born and living in Polizzi
daughter of Santo, age 49?
profession: Finaere?
mother: Maria Sciachinno?

There is something written in the right margin and bottom of the right column that I can't read.

Can someone who can read this correct what I have? I put a "?" next to things I can't read at all, but I would appreciate checking that I am correct on the other items as well.

Page 2 looks like it has a list of items in the allegeti. I would appreciate this list, so I know what FamilySearch didn't send me. I can't read the rest of page 2 or page 3 (except the typed script).
bvbellomo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Allegati help

Post by bvbellomo »

bump - I was hoping someone could read at least something on this record better than I can.

I am convinced Santo's occupation starts with a 'Z' not an 'S' but otherwise have no new thoughts. I have never seen a word like 'Zinaere' though, so I have no idea what he did.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

bvbellomo wrote:I tried using FamilySearch's photoduplication to get an allegeti. It looks like they only sent the first 3 pages of a longer record.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3322562/record ... egeti1.pdf
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3322562/record ... egeti2.pdf
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3322562/record ... egeti3.pdf

Here is what I came up with for the first page:

This is a solemn promise to marry - with the church celebration recorded in the right column...
Date of Record is 13 February 1830

Date of Wedding: February 14th 1830? At the church, YES

Groom: Vincenzo Ferrara
Born: Paleppriett? I believe that what you see is POLIZZI crossed out
Profession: Servidore? Yes, I think this is SERVITORE/servant
Father: Paolo, dead at time of wedding YES
Mother: Carmella Tenco, dead but lived in Palermo? surname could be IENCO

Bride: Rosa Mazzola
born and living in Polizzi
daughter of Santo, age 49? YES
profession: Finaere? ???
mother: Maria Sciachinno? Possibly Schiacchitano

There is something written in the right margin and bottom of the right column that I can't read. I believe these are corrections to the words crossed out in the left column, then the signature of the official for each correction (D. Borgese)

Can someone who can read this correct what I have? I put a "?" next to things I can't read at all, but I would appreciate checking that I am correct on the other items as well.

Page 2 looks like it has a list of items in the allegeti. I would appreciate this list, so I know what FamilySearch didn't send me. I can't read the rest of page 2 or page 3 (except the typed script).
Made some corrections/suggestions above. Will look at pages 2 and 3 to see if I can read this clerks AWFUL handwriting :shock:

EDIT TO ADD:

Second page mentions that the promise was posted on Sunday the 24th of January.
Also begins the documents presented which continue to page 3.
1 - Birth act of the groom
2 - Birth act of the bride
3 - Publication of the banns in this town, and no opposition to the marriage
4 - Death act of Carmela Ienco, mother of the groom, (I think it mentions January 1830)
5 - Act of legal guardianship of the groom on the death of his mother and father (to his grandfather?) while a minor.

T.
bvbellomo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bvbellomo »

The 'I' vs 'T' in Ienco gave me a lot more to go by, but it lead nowhere. 'Ienco' is a valid surname, however I can't find any record of it in Palermo either then or now.

I'd like to know where he was born, I still don't think it says 'Polizzi' but it could. I'd also like to know Santo's occupation.

I think you are right about everything else, and really appreciate the help. Eventually I may get other records that clarify this.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I think the place of birth is definitely Polizzi.

I am thinking the occupation is the word zimatore. I can't find an English equivalent of this word, but have seen it in the catasto onciario (tax census record) with the word panni, as in "zimatori di panni" (plural). So the occupation has something to do with cloth. I also found on google books that the zimatori were at odds with the tailors and something about them wetting the cloth. I just can't find the specific work of anyone in this occupation, but this is an old occupation which was found in Sicily.

My other thought is that the word zimatore is related to the word cimatore. Perhaps it is the Sicilian equivalent of this other Italian word. If you check a current Italian dictionary, a cimatore is a pruner. However, when I checked this book I have called Our Italian Surnames, which traces the origins of various Italian surnames, the author, Prof Joseph Fucilla, lists the surname Cimatore as a surname which originated from the textile trades and translates it as "shearer." Zimatore is also a surname, if you search the Internet, but he doesn't address the origin it but maybe there is a connection between the two.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

#5 is the act of the family council. It has nothing to do with guardianship, The father, mother, and grandfather of the minor spouse (groom) were all deceased, so none could give their consent for him to marry. So other family members convened in a family council (or meeting) to discuss the merits and shortcomings of the prospective bride. For one thing, the dowry that the bride had to bring to the marriage would be an important consideration, in addition to her moral character. Once it was determined that she was "good enough" for the groom, then family members would give their consent for him to marry her. Uncles, cousins, and close family friends could serve as council members, if the parents and grandparents were deceased.

Erudita
bvbellomo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bvbellomo »

Thanks! I can't wait to (eventually) see the rest of this record.

I am not sure how he had an "act of the family council" - I assumed he lived in Palermo until his whole family died, then took a job as a servant following someone important to Polizzi, and had no family there. Rosa's parents were from Castlebuono, so they were both foreigners to a small town. This could be more my interpretation than anything else.

There are Ferraros all over Sicily including Polizzi, but no names like 'Ienco' in Polizzi, and no other records of a 'Paolo Ferraro' in Polizzi. Names tend to stay in families, and it is surprising Vincenzo didn't name a son Paolo, but if he had simblings in the town, odds are one of them would have.
bvbellomo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bvbellomo »

"the zimatore was an artisan of the textile trade, involved in shearing of cloths"

http://www.abruzzoheritage.com/records/ ... pietro.htm
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

bvbellomo wrote:Thanks! I can't wait to (eventually) see the rest of this record.

I am not sure how he had an "act of the family council" - I assumed he lived in Palermo until his whole family died, then took a job as a servant following someone important to Polizzi, and had no family there. Rosa's parents were from Castlebuono, so they were both foreigners to a small town. This could be more my interpretation than anything else.

There are Ferraros all over Sicily including Polizzi, but no names like 'Ienco' in Polizzi, and no other records of a 'Paolo Ferraro' in Polizzi. Names tend to stay in families, and it is surprising Vincenzo didn't name a son Paolo, but if he had simblings in the town, odds are one of them would have.
'

If you locate a copy of the family council record, it will list the names of the individuals who met to ultimately give their consent to the marriage, and it will also list their relationship to the groom. This record should be with the allegati records.
Erudita
bluefairy79
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bluefairy79 »