need help with translation of Campofelice records, please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
vmdavis52

need help with translation of Campofelice records, please

Post by vmdavis52 »

Hello -
I posted here long ago when trying to find the Alessi side of my family tree. I just started searching again recently and thanks to some very helpful people, I've found documents from Italy pertaining to my family. However, I don't know the Italian language. The number of microfilm images are staggering. I can translate bits of words (I tool Latin as a child, forgot most all of it) but I need a starting point to try to get to the right records. Can anyone tell me what this image is regarding? It looks like some sort of index of people's ages, is that right? Does this lead me to any other records, like is this an index of the birth records and if so, how do I cross-reference? I don't see what seems to be entry references.

Thank you,
Valerie
Attachments
image from Family Search
image from Family Search
indice decennali Campofelice.png (738.71 KiB) Viewed 2857 times
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: need help with translation of Campofelice records, pleas

Post by erudita74 »

vmdavis52 wrote:Hello -
I posted here long ago when trying to find the Alessi side of my family tree. I just started searching again recently and thanks to some very helpful people, I've found documents from Italy pertaining to my family. However, I don't know the Italian language. The number of microfilm images are staggering. I can translate bits of words (I tool Latin as a child, forgot most all of it) but I need a starting point to try to get to the right records. Can anyone tell me what this image is regarding? It looks like some sort of index of people's ages, is that right? Does this lead me to any other records, like is this an index of the birth records and if so, how do I cross-reference? I don't see what seems to be entry references.

Thank you,
Valerie
This is an index with record numbers following the person's name and also the year of the event. Can you give us the image number on familysearch, as I can't tell if this is a birth or death index by just looking at the small section of it which appears in your upload ?

It's a 10 year birth index. So once you pick out which entry you want, you need to go to "Nati 1862 to 1910" and try to find the year and record number.

Record # 2 for 1881 is image 743 of 2018; record # 11 is image 646 of 2013 in the category Nati 1862 to 1910

Erudita
vmdavis52

Post by vmdavis52 »

I didn't realize only a portion uploaded. I think its a birth index?
It's filed under the link: Indici decennali (nati) 1881-1890. I'm not sure where the image number is. I'll go back and see what I can find.
Thank you!
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

vmdavis52 wrote:I didn't realize only a portion uploaded. I think its a birth index?
It's filed under the link: Indici decennali (nati) 1881-1890. I'm not sure where the image number is. I'll go back and see what I can find.
Thank you!

See my edited reply above this post.
Erudita
vmdavis52

Post by vmdavis52 »

I hope this picture loads correctly. I've made out most of all the top of the form for the marriage of Angelo Alessi and Lucia Gugliuzza, but I'm wondering what is handwritten beneath the standard form. I see the word "bambino"...did they already have a child when they married?

Do you know of any records I can go back further in the tree to find possibly a marriage certificate for the parents (Guiseppe Alessi and Maria Valenti) in order to find out the previous generation's names? Seeing over 2000 records per microfilm is staggering and not knowing any other details about Angelo and Maria's parents than their names on this certificate, I'm not sure how to trace back any further.

Thank you
Valerie
Attachments
angelo Alessi and Lucia Gugliuzza Marriage Notice.jpg
angelo Alessi and Lucia Gugliuzza Marriage Notice.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 2835 times
vmdavis52

Post by vmdavis52 »

I see that didn't upload correctly. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. How do people uploand images on this site? Is there a way I should save the files to make them open correctly when I upload them here?

Sorry for all the questions. I haven't used this site much before.
vmdavis52

Post by vmdavis52 »

Trying this again with a compressed image.
Attachments
Compressed image- Angelo Alessi and Lucia Gugliuzza Marriage Notice.jpg
Compressed image- Angelo Alessi and Lucia Gugliuzza Marriage Notice.jpg (22.57 KiB) Viewed 2833 times
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

The image is still difficult to enlarge. Someone else on the forum will have to help you with uploading images, as I never do. In the future, please give us the image number from familysearch.org so that if the image doesn't upload well, we can still go back and find the image. I found the image which is image 1103 of 1298.

The marriage record is dated Feb 11, 1902. Angelo was age 26 and a peasant/farmer. He was the son of Giuseppe Alessi, who was a resident in America at the time of his son's marriage. His mother was Maria Valenti, a resident in Campofelice. The bride was age 20 and the daughter of Valentino Gugliuzza and Maria Galioti. All residents in Campofelice

The marriage legitimized the birth of a daughter who had been born from Angelo and Lucia's natural union on Sept 1, 1901. The child's name was Maria Alessi.

You can view Maria's birth record which is no. 54 of the births from 1862 to 1910, image 1627 of 2018. At the time of her birth, her father had come forward to admit that she was his child from his natural union with a woman who was not named in the birth record. He was 26 years old at the time of the birth of Maria.

Erudita
jofma

Post by jofma »

Does anyone know where I can get translation and apostille in Dutchess county ny that isn't too expensive
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

jofma wrote:Does anyone know where I can get translation and apostille in Dutchess county ny that isn't too expensive

You need to post your query as a new thread under the category Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship. You should not be piggybacking on someone else's thread.

Erudita
jofma

Post by jofma »

new to this, thanks for the info, you could be a little more polite but thanks
vmdavis52

Post by vmdavis52 »

Jofma - email and messages on boards may seem less polite than they were intended. I think they were just helping guide you. I'm new to this forum, too (and making plenty of mistakes) but everyone here seems to be very helpful.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

vmdavis52 wrote:Jofma - email and messages on boards may seem less polite than they were intended. I think they were just helping guide you. I'm new to this forum, too (and making plenty of mistakes) but everyone here seems to be very helpful.
I already sent a private apology to Jofma. It was not my intent to be impolite to that poster. I was trying to help the poster get the info being sought.

Anyway, I hope you (vmdavis52)saw the translation of the marriage record and the info about the birth record that I posted above.

Erudita
vmdavis52

Post by vmdavis52 »

Erudita - How do you find records so quickly? Is it because you read Italian and are able to go page by page and pick up the right ones so quickly, or is there a search feature specifically for the microfilm records on the Family Search site? The nice gentleman who initially found the records for me gave me directions on how to find the microfilm records and mentioned he looks for indexes, but how do I find the individual indexes within the larger records?

I'll work on figuring out how to post the images more correctly, and will pay better attention to the record number.

Thank you. Very happy to be finding all this information out. It's fascinating to learn.

Valerie