Symbols in Indexes

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
ddevirgilio
Rookie
Rookie

Symbols in Indexes

Post by ddevirgilio »

Despite various efforts, I remain puzzled by a few symbols I often see in annual record indexes. Attached you will find an image which contains three examples that I've patched together from a single index page. I've been able to decipher that the first example, containing the "S,P" references the "supplemental" records that appear handwritten at the end of each year. However, the meaning of the "backward 9" symbol in the second and third example evades me. I've seen in at the end of a record number and in between as reflected in the second and third example in the image, respectively. I know it looks like a 5, but it isn't. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. I have a feeling I will kick myself for not seeing the obvious here. :-)
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (15.03 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Symbols in Indexes

Post by liviomoreno »

The "backward 9" is a 5
Your second and third images read 415 and 258
ddevirgilio
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Symbols in Indexes

Post by ddevirgilio »

Well, moments after submitting this post, I realized that I was sabotaged by a misnumbered record. It is indeed a 5, and the self-kicking has commenced. :-) Thanks for the response!