Birth Record Translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
JOHN08
Elite
Elite

Birth Record Translation

Postby JOHN08 » 07 Aug 2013, 06:09

My translation of this birth record:

19 April 1788, Nicola Berardino son of Giovanni Antonio DiFelice and Antonia DiPaolo of Pianella. Not sure about the rest of names of the witnesses.

Thanks for any help.

John

http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/826/p24e.jpg

erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Birth Record Translation

Postby erudita74 » 07 Aug 2013, 13:01

JOHN08 wrote:My translation of this birth record:

19 April 1788, Nicola Berardino son of Giovanni Antonio DiFelice and Antonia DiPaolo of Pianella. Not sure about the rest of names of the witnesses.

Thanks for any help.

John

http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/826/p24e.jpg

This is a baptism not birth record-actually it is a record that was prepared for use for a marriage-the info was taken from the Book of Baptisms, folio or page 157. Nicola Berardino was the legitimate and natural son of GioAntonio and Antonia. The other names you see are the names of the priest who baptized Nicola Berardino and the godparents. The priest's first name was also Nicola, followed by an abbreviation for his title, and then his surname which was possibly Catella. Then you have the name of the godfather, Francesco di Domenico, followed by the name of the godmother-possibly Anna, but I don't know about the two dots above the name, so there might be omitted letters, her middle name may be Chiara, but I can't say for sure, followed by her surname Ricci.

I should add that godparents named in baptism records were not always relatives. Sometimes they were just individuals who served as godparents for all baptisms listed on a particular page in a church's Book of Baptisms. In some baptism records, the relationship of the godparents to the family may be stated; in others, it is not.

Erudita

JOHN08
Elite
Elite

Re: Birth Record Translation

Postby JOHN08 » 07 Aug 2013, 19:09

Erudita,

Thank you.

John

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”