What does this mean

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
7 posts • Page 1 of 1

What does this mean

Postby rancelli » 16 Aug 2013, 07:35

I found a record today that says "DONNA CHE NON CONSENTE ESSERE NOMINATA" on the line where normally the name of the mother would be on a birth record.
rancelli
Elite
Elite

Re: What does this mean

Postby erudita74 » 16 Aug 2013, 11:34

rancelli wrote:I found a record today that says "DONNA CHE NON CONSENTE ESSERE NOMINATA" on the line where normally the name of the mother would be on a birth record.

It means "woman who does not consent to be named." This is found in a birth record in which the man (infant's father) is in a natural union with, but not married to, the mother of the child. It can also be found when the mother is named but the father is not (in which case, the word "uomo" will be substituted for the word "donna."

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby frankcsr » 16 Aug 2013, 16:07

Erudita, can you explain why this occurs? My grandfather, Rosario D'Angelo, had this same notation on his birth certificate. Then another child was born and the same notation was on the birth certificate. Then the couple were married and had three other children. I know that they lived in a small town so there was no hiding that they were together and no hiding that she was pregnant. any explination?
Thank you.
Frank C
frankcsr
Rookie
Rookie

Postby rancelli » 16 Aug 2013, 20:19

thank you so much erudita.
rancelli
Elite
Elite

Postby erudita74 » 17 Aug 2013, 05:09

frankcsr wrote:Erudita, can you explain why this occurs? My grandfather, Rosario D'Angelo, had this same notation on his birth certificate. Then another child was born and the same notation was on the birth certificate. Then the couple were married and had three other children. I know that they lived in a small town so there was no hiding that they were together and no hiding that she was pregnant. any explination?
Thank you.
Frank C

If the couple was not married at the time of the birth of a child, one or both could have chosen to not be named on the certificate. Or, if one of the parents was already married to someone else, then that person might choose to not be named. The other possibility was that they had been previously married in a church ceremony not recognized by the civil state. If that was the case, then one of the parents might not be named on the record until the civil marriage had taken place, which could be years after some of their children were born. Did the marriage record you found have any handwritten info on it which indicated that that marriage legitimized the births of the children who had been born prior to the civil marriage?

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby frankcsr » 20 Aug 2013, 18:36

Eudrita,
I hope the link below is done correctly. It is the birth of Camelo D'Angelo the third son who was born after their mother was not named on the first two birth certificates. Can you translate and give me any info as to why she was not mentioned on the first two births.
Thank you,

http://s23.postimg.org/epi7vb5af/record_image_53.jpg
frankcsr
Rookie
Rookie

Postby erudita74 » 20 Aug 2013, 18:40

The image is very very tiny and I can't enlarge it.
Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations