On the trail of a mystery - translation help needed

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

On the trail of a mystery - translation help needed

Postby dangli » 16 Aug 2013, 23:32

I'm in need of assistance translating a birth record for a child.

After years and years of searching high and low, we are finally piecing together a puzzle that includes a defrocked priest, a married woman, some of her children and some foundling children forming a family and coming to the United States. Can someone help me with the translation for CAMPAGNA Teodoro found here? It's record 8 on the left side.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n374423315

Thank you so much in advance.
dangli
Rookie
Rookie

Re: On the trail of a mystery - translation help needed

Postby erudita74 » 17 Aug 2013, 06:18

dangli wrote:I'm in need of assistance translating a birth record for a child.

After years and years of searching high and low, we are finally piecing together a puzzle that includes a defrocked priest, a married woman, some of her children and some foundling children forming a family and coming to the United States. Can someone help me with the translation for CAMPAGNA Teodoro found here? It's record 8 on the left side.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n374423315

Thank you so much in advance.

Record #8 is dated July 1, 1879 at 9 a.m. in San Fele

Appearing was midwife, Mariantonia Pellegrino, age 51, daughter of deceased Vito. She reported that last night, while she was asleep in her house located on Strada Castello, she heard someone calling out. This caused her to get up and, when she opened her door, she found a masculine baby who appeared to be a day old, who had been left there without anything. The baby was named Teodoro Campagna by the town official and was then consigned to wetnurse, Filomena Ricigliano, who was weaning her own daughter by the name of Maria Michele de Stefano. The town official assigned the custody and upbringing of the infant to this wetnurse and also arranged for the purchase of the first diapers.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby dangli » 17 Aug 2013, 13:47

Thanks so much! This really helps and it fits perfectly with the hypothesis we have.

A quick question...what is the reference in the beginning of the record to April 21st? Is the record from July 1, but the incident occurred in April?

Dangli
dangli
Rookie
Rookie

Postby erudita74 » 17 Aug 2013, 14:33

dangli wrote:Thanks so much! This really helps and it fits perfectly with the hypothesis we have.

A quick question...what is the reference in the beginning of the record to April 21st? Is the record from July 1, but the incident occurred in April?

Dangli

You're very welcome. April 21, 1879 was the date that the town secretary in this record, Pietro Caputi, was delegated and approved for his position by an act of the town mayor, who is not named in the record.
Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby CiaoGina » 03 Sep 2013, 07:22

dangli wrote:Thanks so much! This really helps and it fits perfectly with the hypothesis we have.

Dangli

Hi there,

I noticed that this took place in San Fele in 1879, aa year before my great grandfather was born there. Do you have Lorenzos or Santoros in your family by chance?
Thanks

Gina
CiaoGina
Rookie
Rookie

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations