Verification of Birth Record Needed

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Verification of Birth Record Needed

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 28 Aug 2013, 00:14

Can someone please check my translation of the following Birth Record for me and correct anything I have got wrong or add anything important that I have missed. It’s a little bit confusing.

IMAGE 998 INDEX 28 LAURIA GIUSEPPE:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n330442076

LAURIA GIUSEPPE
BIRTH RECORD INDEX 28
1869 – 10 OCTOBER AT 9.40 A.M.
TOWN: SAPONARA DI GRUMENTO
FATHER: MICHELANGELO LAURIA
MOTHER: TERESA PADULA , MICHELANGELO’S WIFE
STREET: VIA SANTO INFANTINO NO 686
SIDE NOTE SAYS ON 4 JULY 1892 GIUSEPPE LAURIA MARRIES COZZO ROSALIA.

(To me it looks like Giuseppe has possibly declared his own birth (23 years later - is that right?) prior to getting married. The Birth Records for Saponara di Grument for the years 1869-1872 inclusive are not on line and maybe they were even missing back in 1892?) Anyways, I would very much appreciate someone else checking my interpretation of what the record says and verify for me. Thank you. Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Verification of Birth Record Needed

Postby erudita74 » 28 Aug 2013, 02:04

Angela
I have been able to decipher most of the handwritten section of this birth record. Yes, Giuseppe was appearing himself some 23 years after he was actually born. The handwritten section states that the informant (Giuseppe), before announcing the birth above, presented the town official with a judgment or verdict from the Civil and Correctional Court of Potenza, which was prepared last March 18th (1892), and relinquished from the clerk of the same court on the 22nd of the stated month (March), which authorized the declaration of his birth. He presented the town official with a copy, which the official then looked over and inserted in the volume of the allegati of this register.

I hope this helps.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 28 Aug 2013, 11:16

erudita74 wrote:Angela
I have been able to decipher most of the handwritten section of this birth record. Yes, Giuseppe was appearing himself some 23 years after he was actually born. The handwritten section states that the informant (Giuseppe), before announcing the birth above, presented the town official with a judgment or verdict from the Civil and Correctional Court of Potenza, which was prepared last March 18th (1892), and relinquished from the clerk of the same court on the 22nd of the stated month (March), which authorized the declaration of his birth. He presented the town official with a copy, which the official then looked over and inserted in the volume of the allegati of this register.

I hope this helps.

Erudita

Thank you for the translation Erudita. It is very helpful to have this.

I wonder why this situation occurred and whether it was an isolated case or not. (i.e. someone declaring their own birth, years after the event). Maybe the parents omitted to register Giuseppe’s birth (he was possibly a slightly premature baby as his parents were married 2 August 1868. They may have been overwhelmed and preoccupied??? I have birth records for five of their subsequent children which were all registered shortly after their births. Or do you think it is more likely to relate to the records for Giuseppe’s birth year not being available anymore?

I am assuming that Giuseppe needed a birth record in order to get married – is that right? (It seems like there is reference made on “matrimonio” records to the sighting of birth records?) Would he have also needed to have presented a birth record when signing up for military service? Just wondering.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 29 Aug 2013, 01:51

Angela
He did need a copy of his birth record for his marriage, but I can see that the birth records from 1869 to 1872 are missing. You may have noticed this. Historically, I can't find what happened in the town or region in those years that would account for the missing records.
Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 29 Aug 2013, 03:32

erudita74 wrote:Angela
He did need a copy of his birth record for his marriage, but I can see that the birth records from 1869 to 1872 are missing. You may have noticed this. Historically, I can't find what happened in the town or region in those years that would account for the missing records.
Erudita

Thank you for the reply Erudita. Yes, I did know the birth records from 1869 to 1872 are missing.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations