Translation Please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
oemorg
Rookie
Rookie

Translation Please

Post by oemorg »

This document was included in the processetti pages of my 4GGParents. I am not sure what it is. I noticed the groom's grandmother's name is near the bottom of the page with the word "consenso". I believe she was living at the time of his marriage and both his parents were dead. Was this her consent of the marriage?

Thanks,
Greg
Attachments
Giuseppe Trotta & Vittoria Candreva Processetti Page 5
Giuseppe Trotta & Vittoria Candreva Processetti Page 5
9670giuseppetrotta&vittoriacandrevaproc1813pg05.jpg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 1541 times
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Translation Please

Post by erudita74 »

oemorg wrote:This document was included in the processetti pages of my 4GGParents. I am not sure what it is. I noticed the groom's grandmother's name is near the bottom of the page with the word "consenso". I believe she was living at the time of his marriage and both his parents were dead. Was this her consent of the marriage?

Thanks,
Greg

This the consent of the grandmother of the groom for him to marry. She was Maria Santoro, the widow of deceased Isidoro Trotta of the town of Fulcaldo. She was giving her free consent to Giuseppe Trotta, the son of her deceased son, Antonio Trotta, to contract marriage with Vittoia Cantreva. the legitimate and natural daughter of Andrea Cantreva and Domenica Caparelli of the town of San Benedetto Ullano. The consent was being given, according to the regulation of the Napoleanic Civil Code, so that the couple could be united before the officials of the civil state above.

She signed with a sign of the cross, as she was illiterate.
Dated Aug 7, 1813

I can't decipher the last sentence in the record. I see a reference to S. Montalto. San Benedetto Ullano was a frazione or hamlet of the town of Montalto Uffugo, until 1927, when it became an independent town.
Erudita
oemorg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by oemorg »

Erudita,

Thanks very much. I have never seen one of these consents from a grandparent, probably because they usually predecease the parents. I wonder why Giuseppe needed consent if he was 23 years old.

Greg
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

oemorg wrote:Erudita,

Thanks very much. I have never seen one of these consents from a grandparent, probably because they usually predecease the parents. I wonder why Giuseppe needed consent if he was 23 years old.

Greg

There was a 19th century regulation which required the consent of both parents, if the male was under age 25 (from a book called Fate, Honor, Family and Village by Prof Rudolph M Bell, p. 87).

Erudita
oemorg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by oemorg »

Erudita,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Greg