Latin Death Record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
oemorg
Rookie
Rookie

Latin Death Record

Post by oemorg »

Please verify:

Pasqaule Micieli, husband of Felica Iorio died 27 Oct 1799 at the age of about 68 in San Lucido in the Parish of St. John the Baptist.

Please correct me if I am wrong and let me know of any other valuable info, like his parents' names.

Thanks,
Greg
Attachments
0723luigigammaro&mariacarolinamicieliproc1822pg06a.jpg
0723luigigammaro&mariacarolinamicieliproc1822pg06a.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 734 times
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Latin Death Record

Post by erudita74 »

Looks correct, Greg. There are no parents' names in the record. The only other thing is that he was buried in the parish church (you have the name of the church). I understand that the burial occurred about 24 hours after he died.
Erudita
oemorg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by oemorg »

Erudita,

I am not sure what you mean when you say "buried in the parish church". Please explain.

Thanks again,
Greg
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

At that time people were wrapped and put under the floor of the church. Babies and children to the left of where the altar was above with women on the left and behind the children. Important and noble men to the right and front with poor men behind the nobility. When the bodies decayed, the bones were put together in a communal place.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
oemorg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by oemorg »

Ann,

Thanks for the explanation. I knew because of the lack of land in Italy that cemetery plots were recycled. I did not know that regular people were buried in the churches.

Greg