*** There is a problem with new registrations - Contact us when you did not receive an activation email ***

Translation Please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Translation Please

Postby oemorg » 14 Oct 2013, 17:57

Gregorio Candreva and Angela Sauleo were married in 1840. This is from their processetti.
Can you please give me a brief summary of what the attached document is and why the date 22 Apr 1809 is on it.

Thanks,
Greg
Attachments
9760gregoriocandreva&angelasauleoproc1840pg06a.jpg
9760gregoriocandreva&angelasauleoproc1840pg06a.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 132 times
oemorg
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Translation Please

Postby erudita74 » 14 Oct 2013, 21:57

oemorg wrote:Gregorio Candreva and Angela Sauleo were married in 1840. This is from their processetti.
Can you please give me a brief summary of what the attached document is and why the date 22 Apr 1809 is on it.

Thanks,
Greg

The date of April 22, 1809 refers to the Real Decreto (a decree which was enacted as part of the civil code at that time). I believe that, in this instance, it determined what the future spouses had to provide to proceed with their solemn promise to marry. The record states that the future spouses were of adult age and that they were appearing before the mayor/official of the civil state of the town of San Benedetto Ullano in the presence of the undersigned witnesses who were intervening in the solemn promise of matrimony. It also states that they (the future spouses) were ignorant of the place of death of their grandfathers and of the place where they had lived. Witnesses were Vincenzo Muscacchio, age 53, property owner, Francesco Masciato(sp?), same occupation, age 46, Giuseppe Tavolaro, age 22, same occupation, and Felice Contastabile, age 27, tailor. All were living in this town. The present act was formed for use for their marriage. The two informants, the future spouses, signed with the sign of a cross, as they did not know how to write.

That's the best I can do with this record.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby oemorg » 16 Oct 2013, 13:24

Erudita,

That explains why the grandfathers' death records were not included in the processetti.

Thanks again,
Greg
oemorg
Rookie
Rookie

Postby erudita74 » 16 Oct 2013, 14:48

oemorg wrote:Erudita,

That explains why the grandfathers' death records were not included in the processetti.

Thanks again,
Greg

You're welcome, Greg. Sorry you didn't get those death records but at least you know the reason why.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations