Clarification on Mother's Name

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
felittese

Clarification on Mother's Name

Postby felittese » 23 Oct 2013, 23:33

On my ancestor's death record (#128, bottom record) his mother's name is Liboria Salerno:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1681447322

However, her name is encircled and a notation at the bottom of the record seems to indicate his mother is actually unknown. Could someone please confirm I'm interpreting this correctly? Thank you!

His marriage record shows his mother is unknown, but a sibling's death record states Liboria Salerno is the sibling's mother's name. Perhaps Liboria was my ancestor's stepmother. Unfortunately birth records are not available for my ancestor's birth year. I'll try to get it from Mistretta and/or Messina State Archives, but fear they don't have records beyond what's already available online...

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Clarification on Mother's Name

Postby liviomoreno » 24 Oct 2013, 07:59

You stand correct, the notation indicates that the mother is unknown, and this means that two informants Rocco Zingone and Giusepe Di Maggio did not know the name (I would say that they thought she was Liboria Salerno, but they were not 100% certain).

I had a similar situation in my tree, the death record of my 3rdG-Grandfather indicated that he was the son of Stefano and mother unknown. I the discovered that Stefano had 4 wives (not all in the same time)and one of them was the mother of my 3rdG-Grandfather.

felittese

Re: Clarification on Mother's Name

Postby felittese » 24 Oct 2013, 14:30

Thanks for the clarification and sharing your experience, Livio. He is my 3XGGF, too. I'll keep digging in hopes of solving the mystery. He seems to be his father's first child, so his mother could have died and his father remarried. Hopefully his birth record is obtainable...

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”