Translation of Catalanotto Marriage

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
ladominocrna
Elite
Elite

Translation of Catalanotto Marriage

Postby ladominocrna » 15 Nov 2013, 04:26

record-image (1).jpg
record-image (1).jpg (61.09 KiB) Viewed 350 times

Can some please tell me the names of the bride and groom and their parents. Thanks.

erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Translation of Catalanotto Marriage

Postby erudita74 » 16 Nov 2013, 19:36

ladominocrna wrote:
record-image (1).jpg

Can some please tell me the names of the bride and groom and their parents. Thanks.

Dated 25th (month and year dependent on previous records on the page).
Groom: Michele Gagliano, son of deceased Simone Gagliano and living Anna Gebbia
Bride: Giuseppa Catalanotto, daughter of Giuseppe Catalanotto and Anna Maria Castagnano.
The bride was the widow of deceased Salvatore Nicastro

Erudita

ladominocrna
Elite
Elite

Postby ladominocrna » 17 Nov 2013, 05:44

Erudita, thank you. My grandfather was Vincenzo "Charles" Castalano (1898-1982. The original name was Catalinotto and was changed at some point when his father, Cristoforo (1866-1927) came to the States. As I trace back, I have noticed that around the 1800's the documents begin to show the spelling as Catalanotto and the Catalinotto spelling disappears or they use the spelling Catalanotto when it should be Catalinotto. Why is that? Thanks you.

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 17 Nov 2013, 16:33

ladominocrna wrote:Erudita, thank you. My grandfather was Vincenzo "Charles" Castalano (1898-1982. The original name was Catalinotto and was changed at some point when his father, Cristoforo (1866-1927) came to the States. As I trace back, I have noticed that around the 1800's the documents begin to show the spelling as Catalanotto and the Catalinotto spelling disappears or they use the spelling Catalanotto when it should be Catalinotto. Why is that? Thanks you.
\

Leroy
I also noticed that the spelling was different from other records I had previously translated for you. I actually went back to recheck after I posted to make sure I didn't have to edit my replies. As to the reason, I really don't know. With my husband's ancestry, I found that in the mid 1600 church records, the one surname had the letter r in the middle. By the late 1600s, it had the letter "ell" in place of the r. The state civil records which began in 1820 always had the surname with the "ell." I even asked someone living in Sicily and they told me that possibly the priests wanted to refine the surname, as the meaning of the surname with the r referred to a piece of fruit. Personally an explanation like that doesn't sit well with me, so I really don't know the reason why the spelling was changed, but it was not just by one priest in the town. All records written by different priests changed in spelling by the late 1600s and then remained the same throughout the state civil records, even into the late 1920s, and then in church records which went from the early 1930s to the late 1940s. So I really don't know what to tell you about Catalinotto vs. Catalanotto. Possibly a dialectal pronunciation issue??? Maybe someone else on the forum has a better suggestion.
Erudita

ladominocrna
Elite
Elite

Postby ladominocrna » 17 Nov 2013, 19:47

Thanks some much...you always provide interesting information.

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”