Translation help with birth certificate.

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
JRosano2012
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Translation help with birth certificate.

Post by JRosano2012 »

Marty...

I have been using the translation you gave me for other records I have. I was wondering if you could look at the one I posted for Maria Caterina. This is what I came up with...

Dated 1884, the 2nd of May, at 10:16am, at the Town Hall.
Before me, Savenio Aielli, Civil Official in the town of Palermiti, appeared Antonio Rosano, age 32, cow herder, who resides in Palermiti. I declare before me at the hour of 8:13am, on the 26th of March, in a house on Via Fratelli Bandiero, number 192, with Serafina Macrillo, his wife, cotton weaver, gave birth to a baby girl that they presented and named Maria Caterina.
These witnesses read and signed this act, Francesco Gulla, age 42, ??, and Pasquale Tavano, age 36, shoemaker, both resided in above Comune.

It looks like Giuseppe and Maria Caterina would be siblings because the address and parents names match. But what is odd, the age of Antonio looks like it is the same. Am I seeing that right?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

JRosano2012 wrote:Marty...

I have been using the translation you gave me for other records I have. I was wondering if you could look at the one I posted for Maria Caterina. This is what I came up with...

Before me, Saverio Aielli, Civil Official in the town of Palermiti, appeared Antonio Rosano, age 32, cow herder, who resides in Palermiti. I declare before me at the hour of 8:13am, on the 26th of March, in a house on Via Fratelli Bandiero, number 192, with Serafina Macrillo, his wife, cotton weaver, gave birth to a baby girl that they presented and named Maria Caterina.
These witnesses read and signed this act, Francesco Gulla, age 42,shoemaker, and Pasquale Tavano, age 36, shoemaker, both resided in above Comune.

It looks like Giuseppe and Maria Caterina would be siblings because the address and parents names match. But what is odd, the age of Antonio looks like it is the same. Am I seeing that right?
Great job on the translation of the birth act!! They are definately siblings don't get hung up on the ages on these birth acts they are close most of the time Again great work If youneed anything else just ask

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

JRosano2012 wrote: Dated 1884, the 2nd of May, at 10:16am, at the Town Hall.
Before me, Savenio Aielli, Civil Official in the town of Palermiti, appeared Antonio Rosanò, age 32, cow herder, who resides in Palermiti, who declared before me that at the hour of 8:13am, on the 26th of March, in a house on Via Fratelli Bandiera, number 192, Serafina Macrillò, his wife, cotton weaver, gave birth to a baby girl that he presented and named Maria Caterina.
These witnesses read and signed this act, Francesco Gulla, age 42, shoemaker, and Pasquale Tavano, age 36, shoemaker, both resided in above Comune.
Cosmetics :wink:
JRosano2012
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JRosano2012 »

liviomoreno wrote:
JRosano2012 wrote: Dated 1884, the 2nd of May, at 10:16am, at the Town Hall.
Before me, Savenio Aielli, Civil Official in the town of Palermiti, appeared Antonio Rosanò, age 32, cow herder, who resides in Palermiti, who declared before me that at the hour of 8:13am, on the 26th of March, in a house on Via Fratelli Bandiera, number 192, Serafina Macrillò, his wife, cotton weaver, gave birth to a baby girl that he presented and named Maria Caterina.
These witnesses read and signed this act, Francesco Gulla, age 42, shoemaker, and Pasquale Tavano, age 36, shoemaker, both resided in above Comune.
Cosmetics :wink:
Haha, Thank you!!!
JRosano2012
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JRosano2012 »

adelfio wrote:
JRosano2012 wrote:Marty...

Before me, Saverio Aielli, Civil Official in the town of Palermiti, appeared Antonio Rosano, age 32, cow herder, who resides in Palermiti. I declare before me at the hour of 8:13am, on the 26th of March, in a house on Via Fratelli Bandiero, number 192, with Serafina Macrillo, his wife, cotton weaver, gave birth to a baby girl that they presented and named Maria Caterina.
These witnesses read and signed this act, Francesco Gulla, age 42,shoemaker, and Pasquale Tavano, age 36, shoemaker, both resided in above Comune.

Great job on the translation of the birth act!! They are definately siblings don't get hung up on the ages on these birth acts they are close most of the time Again great work If youneed anything else just ask

Marty
Thank you so much! Glad to know I am on the right path. Oh ok, I just got a little nervous when I saw Antonio was listed the same age in both records. Glad to know that are siblings. The only living relative that helped me with this insisted her dad only had 4 siblings. She did not mention Maria Caterina and I have found others too. I am thinking she is hiding something from me.

But I am holding you to what you said haha ;) I was wondering if you would help me with this death certificate like you did that birth act. That way I can use it to translate the other death acts I have.

Thanks again

JRosano2012
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JRosano2012 »

Any takers?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Death of baby(bambino)Giovanni Rosano
INDEX#29
1894 Dec 3rd in the town of Palermiti death of Giovanni Rosano age 18 months son of Antonio Rosano and Serafina Macrillo

MARKED RECORD

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
JRosano2012
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JRosano2012 »

Marriage record.....I feel like I am so close to finding an age or something about my GGGrandmother Serafina. This is so exciting!

erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Dated Feb 4, 1906 at 7:30 P.M.

Appearing was-

Groom: Tommaso Emmanuele,never before married, age 19, farmer, born and resident in Palermiti. Son of dec Domenico Emmanuele and Maria Sestito, a resident in the town

Bride: Rosa Rosano’, never before married, age 19, spinner, born and resident in the town, dau of Antonio Rosano’ and Serafina Macrillo’.

Witnesses were Francesco Gulla’ of dec Bruno, age 66, shoemaker, and Domenico Gatta, age 39, also a shoemaker.

Publications had been made on Jan 14th and 21st.

Appearing was the mother of the groom and the mother of the bride to give their consents to the marriage. The latter had a special mandate from her husband confirming that they were both giving their consent to the present marriage. The reason that he did not appear to give his consent in person is not given in the record.

Erudita
JRosano2012
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JRosano2012 »

Could this mean that Serafina's husband mandated that because he was not there and was in America? I thought that I saw somewhere in there that it might have said Antonio was a resident of America.

Is it typical for none of these records to not list the mother's age? It has been so difficult to find a year of birth or death for her. She never came to America from what I understand.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

JRosano2012 wrote:Could this mean that Serafina's husband mandated that because he was not there and was in America? I thought that I saw somewhere in there that it might have said Antonio was a resident of America.

Is it typical for none of these records to not list the mother's age? It has been so difficult to find a year of birth or death for her. She never came to America from what I understand.

As to your question about whether the husband was in America-
I just see that he made the presentations for all of the children whose birth records you posted from 1884 to 1897, so he was in Italy for all of those births-1884, 1886, 1888, 1891, 1894, 1896, and 1897. I don't see in any of the records that you posted with this batch that he was in the Americas. As I previously stated, his reason for not being present at his daughter's marriage is not given in the record, so one can only guess as to the possible reason-he could have been ill, could have been working in some other town, he could have been abroad. It's really difficult to say unless you have found evidence of him on a passenger list or on some other non Italian record. Also, if he was said to be in America in some record, it could have been either North America or South America

There are online birth records for the town for the years from 1818 to 1860 and from 1861 to 1865. Have you seen those? Here is the link.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... Catanzaro/

Search under your town name for the records below:

under stato civile della restaurazione, they have records for your town from 1818 to 1860
under stato civile italiano they have birth records from 1861 to 1865

I took a quick look at various years and unfortunately there are no indices, so you would have to go record by record to locate the birth records. Based on his age in his children's birth records, he could have been born anywhere between 1852 and 1856. So you may get lucky and find his birth record. You could also look for Serafina's among those records too.

I went through the marriage publications for the years online from 1873 to 1884, which you may have already done. There are missing years-1875, 1876, 1877. In the other years the only records I saw with the Macrillo` surname was in the year 1883 when two brothers married. One was age 19 and the other was age 22, but I can't say they were related to Serafina. Their father was a Giuseppe Macrillo` and their mother was a Teresa De Marco. Images 735 and 736 of the 1982 images for those years of publications at family search. The individuals being married, as well as their parents, were residents in the town at the time of the sons' 1883 marriages, but it doesn't say if they were originally from Palermiti or not.

Some towns list the ages of the mother in the children's birth records, whereas as others, such as this simply don't. You hope would be to find a marriage record which I see is not online or her birth record, if she was even born in town of Palermiti. If you go through the earlier birth records and don't see any with her surname at all, then she would have been born somewhere else, but without locating her marriage or death record, it would be impossible to say where.

I would then keep my eyes open for any Macrillo` death records in Palermiti in case they turn out to be relatives of this family, as another town name may be given in those.

Let me know if you have any luck with the online birth records. It's also possible that the 1884 child was not Serafina's first born. I see though that there are no online birth records between 1866 and 1884. So even not knowing if you have all of her children makes determining an estimated year of birth for her difficult.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I just found a Serafina Macrillo` born on Feb 13, 1857 to Domenico Marcrillo` and Rosa De Marco, but I don't know if she's yours.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

The link below is for the only birth record I found for an Antonino Rosano' between the years 1852 and 1858. I don't know if he is yours either, as I saw two other Antonino's in the marriage records when I was going through them, but I didn't make a note of their parents' names, as I was only looking at the brides' names.

From the 1854 record birth on June 18, 1854 to Onofrio Rosano' (age 48) and Teresa Iannone (age 38).

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 0.jpg.html

Erudita
JRosano2012
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JRosano2012 »

Erudita

Thank you so much for sticking with me and helping!!! It means so much. It is funny you say that about the record you found on Serafina. I was just about to write to you. I found the same record! Haha

I am also thinking the record you found on Antonio is the right one. I found this record on one of Antonio and Serafina's children...Vito. It looks like it might say the name Onofrio after the name Antonio. I posted the record below. Am I seeing that correctly?

adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

JRosano2012 wrote:Erudita

Thank you so much for sticking with me and helping!!! It means so much. It is funny you say that about the record you found on Serafina. I was just about to write to you. I found the same record! Haha

I am also thinking the record you found on Antonio is the right one. I found this record on one of Antonio and Serafina's children...Vito. It looks like it might say the name Onofrio after the name Antonio. I posted the record below. Am I seeing that correctly?

Looks like deceased Antonio

Marty

Marty
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I agree with Marty. The record you found for Vito lists the grandfather as deceased Antonio. So the birth record I found for the Antonino with the father Onofrio is not yours.

Erudita