Please help reading a couple of names

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
TerryM
Rookie
Rookie

Please help reading a couple of names

Postby TerryM » 23 Jan 2014, 04:24

I marked the document where the names are to make it easier. Thank you for your help!!
Attachments
PotenzaBasilicataItalyCivilRegistrationRecords1861-1938 Antonio Colucci and Maria Felitti marriage cropped.jpg

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Please help reading a couple of names

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 23 Jan 2014, 05:10

I would say Luigia and possibly the late Gaetano. Someone else would have to verify the last name as it doesn't look like the "t" is crossed so could be something else.

Angela

TerryM
Rookie
Rookie

Postby TerryM » 23 Jan 2014, 06:43

Thank you Angela! I would have never figured that out!

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 23 Jan 2014, 07:22

I doubt it is Gaetano, the first letter is quite different from the G in Gabriela Grieco, it could an S (although in this portion of the document there are no other S to compare) as in Santino but I don't see the "i".

TerryM
Rookie
Rookie

Postby TerryM » 23 Jan 2014, 08:19

I thought Gabriela's last name looked like Brisa. Do you think it starts with a G?

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 23 Jan 2014, 08:41

TerryM wrote:Thank you Angela! I would have never figured that out!

You are welcome Terry. It looks like we need some more eyes for the second name you have highlighted here. Is there a possiblity you can post the complete record. The word Sindaco might be on it so we might then have a comparison for an S.

Re Gabriela's surname, I can see how you would think that it starts with a B but because of the tail that it has on it I think it looks more like a G. The curly bit at the top is just not so pronounced. :)

Angela

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 23 Jan 2014, 08:53

TerryM wrote:I thought Gabriela's last name looked like Brisa. Do you think it starts with a G?

I'm 95.75% sure about Grieco. Is it possible to see the full record?

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 23 Jan 2014, 08:54

Whoops, the word Sindaco is there. If you could still post the full record and see if you can get a clearer image that would be great. :)

Angela

TerryM
Rookie
Rookie

Postby TerryM » 23 Jan 2014, 10:08

Here it is. Thank you so much for your help!
Attachments
Antonio Colucci and Maria Felitti marriage cropped page.jpg

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 23 Jan 2014, 10:46

Thank you Terry for posting this image. To me it still looks like Gaetano so I will be really interested to know if it is different. I've noticed a couple of other letters "t" that arn't crossed and I don't really think that the first letter is too different from the "uncurly" G in Grieco. But that's just my observation and I'm always open to correction. I think you have done incredibly well to be able to read this record as it's not the clearest nor easiest read. I'm signing out for a few hours now and will be interested to see what the verdict is. Good luck.

Angela :)

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 23 Jan 2014, 17:09

Here's a link to a darker image of the record directly from familyseearch

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n872424173

if the link doesn't work, it's image 101 of 2087 record #18

The father's first name is still difficult to read, but I initially thought Gaetano and then possibly Fantino which is a first name in Potenza Province. Since both parents of the groom were deceased in the record, I went through all of the death indices from 1866 to 1880 in the hope of finding at least one of the parents' death records, which might clarify the father's first name, but I didn't find either of their records. So they must have died in some other town, even though it appears that he was born in Vietri.

Erudita

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 23 Jan 2014, 19:17

erudita74 wrote:Here's a link to a darker image of the record directly from familyseearch

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n872424173

if the link doesn't work, it's image 101 of 2087 record #18

The father's first name is still difficult to read, but I initially thought Gaetano and then possibly Fantino which is a first name in Potenza Province. Since both parents of the groom were deceased in the record, I went through all of the death indices from 1866 to 1880 in the hope of finding at least one of the parents' death records, which might clarify the father's first name, but I didn't find either of their records. So they must have died in some other town, even though it appears that he was born in Vietri.

Erudita

Hi Erudita

I don't think that it is Fantino as the letter "F" is quite distinct in the name "Felitti".

Angela

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 23 Jan 2014, 19:22

Hi Terry

Just thinking: We have been looking at the Atti di Matrimonio (Marriage Act). I haven't looked to see whether there are any "Pubblicazioni di Matrimonio" (Marriage Banns) for this town. The name might be clearer on the Marriage Banns if they are there.

Angela

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 23 Jan 2014, 20:13

AngelaGrace56 wrote:Hi Terry

Just thinking: We have been looking at the Atti di Matrimonio (Marriage Act). I haven't looked to see whether there are any "Pubblicazioni di Matrimonio" (Marriage Banns) for this town. The name might be clearer on the Marriage Banns if they are there.

Angela

Angela
A good idea, but I see that the publications jump from 1879 to 1881. I don't see 1880 unless they are out of order.
Erudita

TerryM
Rookie
Rookie

Postby TerryM » 23 Jan 2014, 23:00

Another way to see the name would be to find their other children's marriage records. I think they had a daughter Rosalie Colucci who married Gaetano Felitti. Both were born about 1865. It looks like a brother and sister from the Colucci family married a sister and brother from the Felitti family although without their marriage record I can't prove it. I can't find the marriage record in Vietri di Potenza. I know Rosalie Colucci and Gaetano Felitti had a son Samuel Gaimari Felitti in Napoli on 9 Jun 1896 or 9 Jul 1897 so their marriage might have been in Napoli but I don't have an index for Napoli. There are bound to be other Colucci/Gabriela Grieco children who were married in Vietri di Potenza. There are several Colucci's there. Next time I go to the library, I will look. Being from Texas I am not familiar with Italian names at all but I have been surprised how helpful it's been to know some Spanish when translating Italian. Thank you so much for your help!

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”