Need help with translation of a birth record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
ellendriscoll

Need help with translation of a birth record

Postby ellendriscoll » 25 Jan 2014, 01:14

Hello to anyone that can help.

I do not speak Italian but I am researching a family member that was possibly adopted. I found what is probably her birth record in Calvello Italy but I cannot read the attached document. This record was found at the back of the 1878 birth record book, and the mother looks like it says Rosaria Lapetina. However, Rosaria was married to a man named Nicolai, but he is not mentioned in this record. Does the back of the book mean there was an issue with the birth, possibly Rosaria having the baby by another man with the last name Agrifaglio?

Thanks to anyone that can help read the record.

Ellen
Attachments
Giulia Agrifaglio 1878 to Rosaria Lapetina.jpg

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Need help with translation of a birth record

Postby Tessa78 » 25 Jan 2014, 03:46

This is the birth record (#14) for Giulia Agrifoglio

Rosaria Lapetina, a 23 year old seamstress, is not declaring that she is the mother, but that she found the infant. She presents the infant to the official who gives the infant the name Giulia, and the surname[cognome] Agrifoglio. This was usually a "made-up" name and not found in the town.
I believe Rosaria requested that the child be left in her care.

No mother or father is identified... that is why you see "Esposita" under Giulia's name in the left column where you would normally see the parents' names.

T.

ellendriscoll

Postby ellendriscoll » 25 Jan 2014, 04:18

Oh my. This is worse than I thought. I don't know if I will ever figure out her parents.

Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate it.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 27 Jan 2014, 17:30

ellendriscoll wrote:Oh my. This is worse than I thought. I don't know if I will ever figure out her parents.

Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate it.

That is usually the case :-(

However, Rosaria MAY have been the mother, and that is why she asked to care for the child.

SOMETIMES if the mother marries the father at a later date, the child will be "recognized" in the marriage record.
Do you have the marriage record of Rosaria Lapetina and Nicolai?

T.

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”