War papers translation - Santo

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Castello

War papers translation - Santo

Postby Castello » 07 Feb 2014, 08:28

Hey this is my first post on here.
Just doing some research into my family history (hoping to go back past the unification to before the 1800s) and stumbled across this great website which gave me some sample letters to request documents from the local communes. I found out names and dates and sent it over receiving a reply within the month. The first attempt of these was one of my great grandfathers who served overseas in the world wars.
I do not know what it says though, I thought I requested a war service document a registra di leva that would show where he served over the world wars. Instead from what I could translate it seems that they were not able to release the documents for some reason? Is there anyone able to translate this document for me?

Below is the original email i sent to them, let me know if there is anything wrong with this original enquiry in terms of format or language as i will be sending atleast another 4-8 requests to archives in sicily (the others ranging between birth, marriage, and death certificates). Their reply is attached

ARCHIVIO DI STATO DI CATANIA

Egregi signori,

Mi chiamo Angelo. Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri.
I miei antenati provennero da Castiglione di Sicilia,Catania. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
Potreste cercare l’ registro di leva o registro dei foglie matricolari di questa persona(che e mio nonno materna) nei vostri registri dal 1939 fino al 1944?
Nome e cognome: Francesco Santonoceto
Data di nascita: settembre 08 1915
Luogo di nascita: Castiglione di Sicilia, Catania
Nome e cognome del padre: Giuseppe Santonoceto
Nome e cognome della madre: Lucia Cannao'
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Vi prego di informarmi se sia possibile ottenere delle fotocopie dei vostri registri.
Vi ringrazio in anticipo per il vostro gentilezza e premura.

Distinti saluti,

Santonoceto Francesco.PDF
Registra di leva - reply from Archive
(158.04 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: War papers translation - Santo

Postby adelfio » 07 Feb 2014, 14:09

Castello wrote:Hey this is my first post on here.
Just doing some research into my family history (hoping to go back past the unification to before the 1800s) and stumbled across this great website which gave me some sample letters to request documents from the local communes. I found out names and dates and sent it over receiving a reply within the month. The first attempt of these was one of my great grandfathers who served overseas in the world wars.
I do not know what it says though, I thought I requested a war service document a registra di leva that would show where he served over the world wars. Instead from what I could translate it seems that they were not able to release the documents for some reason? Is there anyone able to translate this document for me?

Below is the original email i sent to them, let me know if there is anything wrong with this original enquiry in terms of format or language as i will be sending atleast another 4-8 requests to archives in sicily (the others ranging between birth, marriage, and death certificates). Their reply is attached

ARCHIVIO DI STATO DI CATANIA
OGGETTO: Richiesta esito di leva o registro dei foglie matricolari di Francesco Santonoceto classe di nascita 1915

Egregi signori,

Mi chiamo Angelo. Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri.
I miei antenati provennero da Castiglione di Sicilia,Catania. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
Potreste cercare l’ registro di leva o registro dei foglie matricolari di questa persona:
Nome e cognome: Francesco Santonoceto
Data di nascita: settembre 08 1915
Luogo di nascita: Castiglione di Sicilia, Catania
Nome e cognome del padre: Giuseppe Santonoceto
Nome e cognome della madre: Lucia Cannao'
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Vi prego di informarmi se sia possibile ottenere delle fotocopie dei vostri registri.
Vi ringrazio in anticipo per il vostro gentilezza e premura.

Distinti saluti,

Santonoceto Francesco.PDF

Military records are arranged by birth year

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Castello

Postby Castello » 07 Feb 2014, 23:37

Thanks a lot for the quick response Marty.
Although I'm not sure what you mean? I included his birth year in the first email I sent them. I did notice you added it to my original email message to them so I assume that is the format they prefer to receive?
Is anyone able to help me out with translating what the military registry card says? Or the letter they sent back to me as page 1 on the PDF? A translation of both would be very much appreciated

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 08 Feb 2014, 01:03

LEVA #78
Francesco Santonoceto son of Giuseppe and Lucia Cannao' born Sept 08 1915 in Castiglione di Sicilia Catania resides on via Crieste in Castiglione di Sicilia
Height 1.54 Meters
Weight 0.83
Hair Brown
Chin normal
Teeth Normal
Eyes Brown
Skin Rosey
Occupation Contadino???
Cant write
Enlisted in the Army Aug 13 1935

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

paola52
Elite
Elite

Postby paola52 » 08 Feb 2014, 20:15

Hi Castello!
This comes from the "lista di leva" a list of drafteees, written in 1935, before WWII, so no info about what he did during the war
The stamp "abile arruolato" shows that he was found suitable for military service and enlisted as Marty said
I read the mother's name as Lucia Cannavò
He was residing in Via Trieste, no number given
0,83 (meters) was the measure of his chest .Men who had a small chest were not enlisted
His hair was brown and straight (lisci)
For the teeth I read "dentatura guasta""meaning he had bad teeth
I, too, read "contadino", peasant, as his occupation
The letter and the other stamp on the first page of the certificate state that, according to a 2011 law, you cannot use this certificate for official purposes.
Ciao
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan

Castello

Postby Castello » 08 Feb 2014, 23:38

Thank you guys so much!
This is awesome because it's a good first step to searching this part of my family tree. I will post back here once I get my hands on the military service document. In my email I am replacing registry di leva with, foglio di congedo illimitato, and registro di ruolo along with the request for matricolari. Or is there only one of those I can request? I really would like to know which document would have where he served as he was a POW.

Thank you again Marty and Paola, very much appreciated.
Ciao

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”