Atto Di Morte question!

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Atto Di Morte question!

Postby ginaruiz1998 » 13 Feb 2014, 21:39

Hello! Can someone take a look at this Atto Di Morte for me when they have a moment? It's number 33....can you clarify the mother's last name? Also...I have some experience with researching other town's registries..but have never come across the last name ( for the deceased individual) as it Iis written here...is that Spanish influenced? I noticed it on many Atto's as I was scrolling through..and I was wondering if that indicated some Spanish blood/ancestry. I know Sicily was ruled by Spain for about 200 years...and that many Spanish Jews settled in Sicily too....but this just made me curious. Any insight you can give would be helpful! Thank you!

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 0.jpg.html

erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Atto Di Morte question!

Postby erudita74 » 13 Feb 2014, 22:03

ginaruiz1998 wrote:Hello! Can someone take a look at this Atto Di Morte for me when they have a moment? It's number 33....can you clarify the mother's last name? Also...I have some experience with researching other town's registries..but have never come across the last name ( for the deceased individual) as it Iis written here...is that Spanish influenced? I noticed it on many Atto's as I was scrolling through..and I was wondering if that indicated some Spanish blood/ancestry. I know Sicily was ruled by Spain for about 200 years...and that many Spanish Jews settled in Sicily too....but this just made me curious. Any insight you can give would be helpful! Thank you!

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 0.jpg.html

The surname is Bausato, which is of Spanish origin.
Erudita

ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ginaruiz1998 » 13 Feb 2014, 22:07

Thank you, Erudita! That helps a lot! I know it says that she was Born in the Comune of Barcellona...can you tell me what it says after that? Thank you so much!

Gina

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 14 Feb 2014, 00:01

ginaruiz1998 wrote:Thank you, Erudita! That helps a lot! I know it says that she was Born in the Comune of Barcellona...can you tell me what it says after that? Thank you so much!

Gina

Gina
After the town name, it says -of the profession peasant/farmer living in this town on Contrada Marsalini, daughter of deceased Antonino, a day laborer, who lived in the hamlet of Nasari, territory of Castroreale, and of deceased Rosaria Bausato, who lived on the contrada above of Nasari

Erudita

ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ginaruiz1998 » 14 Feb 2014, 14:20

Thank you again Erudita! I appreciate it!

Grazie,
Gina

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 14 Feb 2014, 14:40

ginaruiz1998 wrote:Thank you again Erudita! I appreciate it!

Grazie,
Gina

Prego, Gina.
Erudita

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 04 Apr 2014, 09:03

Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto was formed from the merger of 2 towns, Barcellona and Pozzo di Gotto. Barcellona was founded by Spaniards, which is why you find many people around there with Spanish surnames. My GGF's 2nd wife was from Barcellona PdG and her surname was Fernandez. (But my GGF and my GGM were also from there and their surnames were purely Italian - it's not like most people from the town are necessarily of Spanish descent.)

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”