death records general question

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
6 posts • Page 1 of 1

death records general question

Postby jkingb » 09 Mar 2014, 19:17

I don't know if there is a general answer to this, but i am curious if in the case of multiple marriages (i.e., the person was a widow or widower and remarried) only the name of the last spouse would appear on the death record. For instance, I have a death record where the husband's first name doesn't match my other records. Last name is correct. I realize this may be a mistake, but it can also suggest that the woman remarried a close relative (perhaps a brother), therefore, the name of the husband on her death record would reflect the husband at death, not the former husband (who I know had died much earlier). So I am wondering whether a death records would ever reveal anything about the number of marriages, or any information at all about a previous marriage - or only the most recent.

Thanks to anyone who may have advice.
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Re: death records general question

Postby erudita74 » 09 Mar 2014, 19:28

jkingb wrote:I don't know if there is a general answer to this, but i am curious if in the case of multiple marriages (i.e., the person was a widow or widower and remarried) only the name of the last spouse would appear on the death record. For instance, I have a death record where the husband's first name doesn't match my other records. Last name is correct. I realize this may be a mistake, but it can also suggest that the woman remarried a close relative (perhaps a brother), therefore, the name of the husband on her death record would reflect the husband at death, not the former husband (who I know had died much earlier). So I am wondering whether a death records would ever reveal anything about the number of marriages, or any information at all about a previous marriage - or only the most recent.

Thanks to anyone who may have advice.

Sometimes a death record will read that the person was a widower or widow in the first bed, or second bed, or third bed, meaning that there had had been previous marriages. Unfortunately records vary from town to town, and even within an individual town, so you sometimes only get the name of the last spouse in a death record. And yes, it was common for an individual who had been widowed to marry a sibling of a deceased spouse. A dispensation was actually needed to do so, as a kinship relationship had been established through the previous marriage.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby jkingb » 09 Mar 2014, 19:40

Erudita,

Thank you so much for the reply!
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Postby erudita74 » 09 Mar 2014, 20:53

jkingb wrote:Erudita,

Thank you so much for the reply!

You're very welcome.
Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 09 Mar 2014, 22:55

Birth records are your best bet to learn about multiple marriages. There are often notations in the margin. Depends on the time frame. Born before 1865 and married after might not have notations.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby jkingb » 10 Mar 2014, 01:03

Thank you Ann,

I appreciate the input. In this case, I have only a death record - I am researching a family in Torino and the earliest civil records available to me are circa 1866. The ancestress whose marital status is in question was likely born around 1790, and kids span 1712 - 1839. Even the kids' marriage records could be useful, but I haven't found anything so far. Most likely, all the marriages occurred prior to 1866. I do have one child's birth - 1812 (found online). That child was likely the first, and the father's given name only (same surname) is different than that of the husband on her death record. The name of the father on 4 of the kids' death records (I only found 4) matches the name on the 1812 birth. So my best guess is that this woman remarried her husband's brother (or other relative with the same surname) sometime after having kids, and of course, after the death of her husband. I would like to confirm this - make sure it isn't only a mistake in the death record. But I am not sure how. I did not see a 2nd marriage for her in the registers, but she most likely remarried prior to 1866..
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations