Please help with detail on antenati record!

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Please help with detail on antenati record!

Post by jkingb »

I appreciate any help at all with the following record: birth of Gayetane (not familiar with that name)?? Maria Teresa Fina:

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 1.jpg.html

The parents are Felice and Teresa Rossotto, but then at the bottom there are a couple of relatives mentioned - "Joseph" and "Antoine" (in quotes, because I stuck with the French variations). I am curious as to the relationship between these two and the child -in one case I see it says "parental uncle", but not sure if this refers to just one or both (joseph or Antoine) - guessing both, since the occupation just before that refers to both.. Are these two witnesses to the birth, or more (like godparents)? Thanks!
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Please help with detail on antenati record!

Post by erudita74 »

The infant's first name in Italian is Gaetana. Masculine in Italian is Gaetano.

Gaetana Ida
Gaetano Thomas, Guy, from the Latin Caius or Gaius
http://www.oocities.org/irishkenj/givename.html

Joseph Fina and Antonia Maria Fina were witnesses to the declaration of the birth and the presentation of the infant. This is not a church baptism record. There are no godparents' names given in this record. He was the paternal uncle of the infant. I can't make out the next to the last word on the line with her name.

Erudita
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jkingb »

Thank you, Erudita. I guess I had that all wrong - I thought Antoine was a male -Antonio-Maria (because I have seen "Maria" as part of a compound name for men. I assumed he was a second paternal uncle.

And of course, no godparents on a civil record!
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jkingb »

Actually, I believe Antoine was a man after all. He appears again in this record, and another I found:

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Antoine Marie (Antonio Maria) is a male, "agé trentequatre ans". If he was a female it would be "agée trentequatre ans" :)
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jkingb »

Thank you! That explains it..
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

liviomoreno wrote:Antoine Marie (Antonio Maria) is a male, "agé trentequatre ans". If he was a female it would be "agée trentequatre ans" :)

Thanks, Livio. Never really get to use my French anymore, so I'm a bit rusty. The difficulty of the handwriting in these records certainly doesn't help. Also oncle paternel de l'enfant is singular, so I thought it only referred to the first witness and not to Antonio Maria. Livio didn't address this issue.
Erudita
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I believe that the Civil Record Officer did not pay a lot of attention to grammar. I saw that in other records he wrote "agé" for a female. In my opinion "oncle paternel de l'enfant" refers to both witnesses.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

liviomoreno wrote:I believe that the Civil Record Officer did not pay a lot of attention to grammar. I saw that in other records he wrote "agé" for a female. In my opinion "oncle paternel de l'enfant" refers to both witnesses.

Thanks, Livio. Since i studied the languages in school-in high school, and at the university level, I am usually a stickler for grammar!
Erudita
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jkingb »

Thank you both for the clarification. I saw a couple of birth records yesterday with Antonio Maria as declarant/father, so I suspected the name in this record must be that of a male (and same person). Also, it's reassuring to know that the paternal uncle reference was likely to both men. I have reason to believe they are brothers based on information from a couple of other records.

Thank you again for the help!