Please help with military record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Please help with military record

Postby TerryM » 12 May 2014, 06:42

I tried to attach my document but got this message "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." so I uploaded it to DropBox. https://www.dropbox.com/s/dlhsxt2ko62r2 ... rasco.docx I can read the top of the page with name, birth place, etc but I can't understand any of the handwriting at the bottom. I'm used to birth, marriage and death documents but have never seen a military one before. Thank you so much for your help!!
TerryM
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Please help with military record

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 13 May 2014, 21:42

Hi Terry

I've tried to read this for you but not easy for me – am uncertain of military terms and writing tricky to decipher because of that.

Here is what I understand it possibly says under the heading “No 14 Decisioni”. I may have it wrong.

(Already or formerly) in the Finance Police branch of the military. I see the word “abili” - skilled.

Then it seems to say that he enlisted without medical examination (that was possibly needed) according to Article 57 of the RD 5 January 1908 …

Then it seems to be saying that a decision or an assignment was postponed (possibly) because there were still missing documents.

I think columns 16 and 17 is just confirming enrolment and assignment and I see the word "titoli" which I am reading as "security" . I haven't really looked at it too closely as I couldn't decipher too many words.

Hopefully someone else will be able to give you a more exact interpretation/translation. I really only get the gist with unfamiliar text.

Angela

P.S. You must have somehow jumped the queue. I am still waiting for my document. Glad the system worked for you.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby TerryM » 13 May 2014, 22:07

Thank you Angela! I don't think this document is going to give me as much info on Pasquale as I had thought but at least it's a cool heirloom to have on him. Hope you get yours soon.
TerryM
Rookie
Rookie

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 13 May 2014, 22:20

TerryM wrote:Thank you Angela! I don't think this document is going to give me as much info on Pasquale as I had thought but at least it's a cool heirloom to have on him. Hope you get yours soon.

You are very welcome. Yes it is a cool heirloom to have.

I just now decided to use google translate to type in columns no 16 and 17. I don't usually like google translate because it distorts the meaning but this is what it said:

(1st Category 28 July 1908
Confermato arruolamento in 1st cat. ? assegnazione alla 3rd categoria per mancanza de titoli)

Translated to:
1st Category 28 July 1908
Confirmed enrollment in 1st cat. ? assignment to the 3rd category for lack of titles.

I was reading the word titoli as "security" but it obviously also means "titles"? Hopefully someone will confirm/negate :)

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 13 May 2014, 23:06

TerryM wrote:Thank you Angela! I don't think this document is going to give me as much info on Pasquale as I had thought but at least it's a cool heirloom to have on him. Hope you get yours soon.

You can also ask for a FOGLIO MATRICOLARE. I am not sure how much more information this would give. Someone else might know.

I've just spotted the following which would be fantastic but it possibly doesn't apply to Pasquale:

ruolo matricolare (muster roll): the document that gives, in summary form, for every soldier, personal information (mother, father, height, identifying characteristics, profession, level of education, city of birth) and information regarding military service (promotions, special services, war campaigns, actions of merit, decorations, dispatches) until the soldier’s release. These documents (muster rolls, etc., are in order by matricola or ID number and are found in the state archives for ordinary soldiers and non-commissioned officers.

Just two more thoughts.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby TerryM » 13 May 2014, 23:42

Angela - does the same office in Potenza keep the Foglio Matricolare?
TerryM
Rookie
Rookie

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 14 May 2014, 01:37

TerryM wrote:Angela - does the same office in Potenza keep the Foglio Matricolare?

Yes it does. These are the documents I am currently waiting for. :)

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby PippoM » 19 May 2014, 15:01

If you are still interested, I try to explain, as far as I can and I know.
As Angela said, he had alrady been in the "Guardia di Finanza, ramo terra", that is, the part of armed forces that deals with payment of taxes. "ramo terra"means that he worked at land, as opposed to at sea.
He had already been examined when enrolled in the GdF, so he did not need a new medical examination.
He had probably requested to be sent in the 3rd category, that basically means, not serving in the army, except case of war; but his request, in the end, was rejected.
Third category was reserved for people having a difficult familiar situation (only child with only one living parent).
I do not have the exact rules for categories here now, but I hope that was clear and enough.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical searches in Italy.
Translation of your old documents and letters.
Legal assistance for your Italian citizenship.
PippoM
Master
Master

Postby TerryM » 20 May 2014, 08:10

Thank you PippoM!
TerryM
Rookie
Rookie

9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations