First name on 1837 church record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
11 posts • Page 1 of 1

First name on 1837 church record

Postby jkingb » 12 Jun 2014, 18:37

Can somebody help read the first name of the child baptized in entry # 12? I am referring to the name/word (in case it's something else) just after "Calcagno" and just before "Margarita". The closest I can think would be "Rozinna", but that doesn't look quite right. Thanks!
Attachments
rozzina.jpg
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Re: First name on 1837 church record

Postby erudita74 » 12 Jun 2014, 18:48

Is this record from an online website? What town is it from? I am wondering if there is an index for the baptisms for that year which might give us a clearer image of the name.
Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby jkingb » 12 Jun 2014, 19:00

Hi Erudita,

It's from Gassino (copied from microfilm). No index, I'm afraid. Not sure if that word is even a name!
I can read the rest, except the actual birth/baptism date in February. Can you help with that?
As for the name (or mystery word) - this is unfortunately all I have. Someone I know suggested "nomina" for "named" - but not sure about that either. No other record has that written.
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Postby erudita74 » 12 Jun 2014, 19:14

jkingb wrote:Hi Erudita,

It's from Gassino (copied from microfilm). No index, I'm afraid. Not sure if that word is even a name!
I can read the rest, except the actual birth/baptism date in February. Can you help with that?
As for the name (or mystery word) - this is unfortunately all I have. Someone I know suggested "nomina" for "named" - but not sure about that either. No other record has that written.

The month is definitely Feb. The record before it is the 1st of Feb and the one after it is the 13th, but I can clearly see the word for day and the word for three after the word for day. So Feb 3rd.

In the other entries, you have the surname followed by the given name, so I would say that what appears between the surname and Margarita is the first name. I am having trouble figuring out what it is though, so give me some time to work on it.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby jkingb » 12 Jun 2014, 20:08

Yes, thanks. I also noticed the 1st of February as well as 13th on the records immediately before and after - but this one I couldn't read. Thank you!

The first name is a mystery.
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Postby erudita74 » 12 Jun 2014, 20:24

jkingb wrote:Yes, thanks. I also noticed the 1st of February as well as 13th on the records immediately before and after - but this one I couldn't read. Thank you!

The first name is a mystery.

Now I'm wondering if the name is Rosina. I see that first name on passenger lists from Torino. I do see though that it can be spelled Rozina (I don't know if it is spelled that way in Torino though). You'll need another document to confirm this, but sometimes subsequent documents such as marriage records drop a first or middle name and only use one of them.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby jkingb » 12 Jun 2014, 23:10

"Rozinna" (so, Rosina in Italian) is in fact what I suggested in my original post! So that would be great, but the double "n" threw m off, as did the odd-looking "z". Do you think that could really be it?
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jkingb » 13 Jun 2014, 00:16

I am also thinking that since these records (and therefore the names) are all in Latin, the particular spelling in Torino shouldn't matter in this case. I'm just not sure if the double "n" is consistent with the Latin variation.
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Postby erudita74 » 13 Jun 2014, 01:48

I definitely see what looks like nna at the end of the name, but I really can't say with any degree of certainly what the name is. I know you suggested Rozina, so I researched passenger lists for Torino to see what female first names might be common in the area and saw quite a few with that first name.

I really think though that you need to find another record for this child-marriage, death, confirmation. Also there might be indices for another type of record which would have first names, instead of surnames, alphabetically indexed. A name might then just jump out at you that way, particularly if it was a common first name in the town. I apologize if I've mislead you, as that was not my intention. The handwriting in this particular record is just very difficult.

There is a list of female Latin names at the following website, in case anything there gives you an idea-

http://www.20000-names.com/female_latin_names.htm

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby jkingb » 13 Jun 2014, 02:30

No, you haven't mislead me and I appreciate your help (very much so). My last post wasn't very well articulated. I am just stuck on this name, and unable to decipher the first few letters. I've been researching Gassino for months, and pretty familiar with the names - I have seen both Rosa (many times) and Rosina. But Rosina didn't immediately jump out, only when I reach can I see it. So it may not be correct after all. The couple had 6 other kids - 3 girls (Maria, Margherita, and Domenica). I have Margherita's death record suggesting she was born in 1839. This could be the same person (going by her middle name later in life) - or a sister. That is why it would be especially helpful to figure out the name. Thanks for the link. I will take a look.
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Postby erudita74 » 13 Jun 2014, 04:27

Maybe Rosanna instead of Rosina. Rosanna would be a Latin female first name.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

11 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations