same name?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
6 posts • Page 1 of 1

same name?

Postby dmt1955 » 12 Jun 2014, 21:38

i am wondering if Aniello and Anibale are two distinct names or might one be a version of another (similar to Biase and Biaggio).

thanks for your thoughts
Donna
www.MyItalianFamilies.com
Researching: Purcaro, Raimo, Rizzo, Scaglione, Troisi, Masucci
Locations: Ariano (di Puglia) Irpino, Volturrara, Altavilla, Zungoli
dmt1955
Master
Master

Re: same name?

Postby erudita74 » 13 Jun 2014, 01:56

dmt1955 wrote:i am wondering if Aniello and Anibale are two distinct names or might one be a version of another (similar to Biase and Biaggio).

thanks for your thoughts
Donna

Donna
As far as I can tell, these two names have different origins and are not variants of the same name.

Aniello seems to be a variant of Agnello, which is the word "lamb" and comes from a Greek word which means "messenger." There was actually an African bishop in Naples, Sant'Agnello in the 6th C. BC, who had fled there from Africa and founded a monastery there. His feast day is celebrated on Dec 14th.

I can only find Anibale with two 'n's." That name appears to derive from Latin-Hannibal. He was a Carthagian general in the Punic Wars in 247 and 183 BC.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby dmt1955 » 14 Jun 2014, 00:04

thanks so much erudita. anibale and aniello happen to be married to a rosa and their year of birth (1790s) are approximately the same.

neither name shows up as a common first name in that town, which is why i was wondering if the names might be a version of each other.

one more mystery.....
thanks again. i appreciate the indepth information

donna
dmt1955
Master
Master

Postby 113yearslater » 14 Jun 2014, 00:16

If you're reading an indexed version of a record where someone had to read the original document and enter the name into a computer, it could be that the name was misread. I have yet to stop encountering new ways to mangle my great-grandfather's first name in computer records. (Aniceto was his name. Arivello, Auceako, Knicet, Amato ... on and on it goes.)
113yearslater
Rookie
Rookie

Postby erudita74 » 14 Jun 2014, 05:00

dmt1955 wrote:thanks so much erudita. anibale and aniello happen to be married to a rosa and their year of birth (1790s) are approximately the same.

neither name shows up as a common first name in that town, which is why i was wondering if the names might be a version of each other.

one more mystery.....
thanks again. i appreciate the indepth information

donna

You're very welcome, Donna.
Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby dmt1955 » 14 Jun 2014, 12:30

thanks for your thoughts on this. the information are from the actual records, rather than those indexed online. this is just one more mystery that cannot be untangled until I can get access to church records...

donna
dmt1955
Master
Master

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations