same name?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
dmt1955
Master
Master

same name?

Postby dmt1955 » 12 Jun 2014, 21:38

i am wondering if Aniello and Anibale are two distinct names or might one be a version of another (similar to Biase and Biaggio).

thanks for your thoughts
Donna
www.MyItalianFamilies.com
Researching: Purcaro, Raimo, Rizzo, Scaglione, Troisi, Masucci
Locations: Ariano (di Puglia) Irpino, Volturrara, Altavilla, Zungoli

erudita74
Master
Master

Re: same name?

Postby erudita74 » 13 Jun 2014, 01:56

dmt1955 wrote:i am wondering if Aniello and Anibale are two distinct names or might one be a version of another (similar to Biase and Biaggio).

thanks for your thoughts
Donna

Donna
As far as I can tell, these two names have different origins and are not variants of the same name.

Aniello seems to be a variant of Agnello, which is the word "lamb" and comes from a Greek word which means "messenger." There was actually an African bishop in Naples, Sant'Agnello in the 6th C. BC, who had fled there from Africa and founded a monastery there. His feast day is celebrated on Dec 14th.

I can only find Anibale with two 'n's." That name appears to derive from Latin-Hannibal. He was a Carthagian general in the Punic Wars in 247 and 183 BC.

Erudita

dmt1955
Master
Master

Postby dmt1955 » 14 Jun 2014, 00:04

thanks so much erudita. anibale and aniello happen to be married to a rosa and their year of birth (1790s) are approximately the same.

neither name shows up as a common first name in that town, which is why i was wondering if the names might be a version of each other.

one more mystery.....
thanks again. i appreciate the indepth information

donna

113yearslater
Rookie
Rookie

Postby 113yearslater » 14 Jun 2014, 00:16

If you're reading an indexed version of a record where someone had to read the original document and enter the name into a computer, it could be that the name was misread. I have yet to stop encountering new ways to mangle my great-grandfather's first name in computer records. (Aniceto was his name. Arivello, Auceako, Knicet, Amato ... on and on it goes.)

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 14 Jun 2014, 05:00

dmt1955 wrote:thanks so much erudita. anibale and aniello happen to be married to a rosa and their year of birth (1790s) are approximately the same.

neither name shows up as a common first name in that town, which is why i was wondering if the names might be a version of each other.

one more mystery.....
thanks again. i appreciate the indepth information

donna

You're very welcome, Donna.
Erudita

dmt1955
Master
Master

Postby dmt1955 » 14 Jun 2014, 12:30

thanks for your thoughts on this. the information are from the actual records, rather than those indexed online. this is just one more mystery that cannot be untangled until I can get access to church records...

donna

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”