Can anyone tell me what this card says?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Can anyone tell me what this card says?

Postby Nataliej » 15 Jul 2014, 06:30

image.jpg


Such beautiful handwriting! It was on the back of a picture in an album. We are trying to figure out what it says and if the couple in the photo are relatives.
Nataliej
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 13 Jul 2014, 02:07

Re: Can anyone tell me what this card says?

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 15 Jul 2014, 20:35

Hi

Yes it is beautiful hand writing. This is what I see written:

“Grenoble, 4 Ottobre 1929
Tu segno di vero affetto offriamo ai nostri cari
Giacinta e Alfredo Bertotti”

which google translates to:

“4 Grenoble, 4 October 1929
(You?) sign of true affection we offer to our dear
Giaicinta and Alfredo Bertotti”

(Maybe the people who wrote it didn't write in Italian so well, or I've misread a letter, but it gives you the gist of what was meant. Someone else may clarify for you.)

The typed format, as you have probably guessed, is in French, and Grenoble of course is in France. If you google: 5, rue des Clercs. Grenoble, the address is still there. It looks like there may be a restaurant at this address: http://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/Restaurant ... Alpes.html

It is good that it includes the date. I have an assortment of photos with similar backings to this one (postcard backings) but printed in Italian.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
 
Posts: 689
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Can anyone tell me what this card says?

Postby Nataliej » 15 Jul 2014, 21:15

Thank you, I could hardly make out the date and Alfredo Bertotti! It is attached to a photo as well. There is supposed to be some French blood in my great grandfathers line and perhaps a relative visited and sent a card or perhaps they just visited. Apparently they are basically saying 'Greetings' or Hello!

My GGgrandmothers last name is listed as Boetto - but I often heard Grandma talk about cousins in Illinois and she refereed to them as the Berto cousins (and they are the ones who sponsored her coming to America) - so perhaps the last name was shortened or changed like so many have been and they are part of that clan.

Many thanks, - this is such a fascinating journey!
Nataliej
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 13 Jul 2014, 02:07

Re: Can anyone tell me what this card says?

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 15 Jul 2014, 22:15

Nataliej wrote:Thank you, I could hardly make out the date and Alfredo Bertotti! It is attached to a photo as well. There is supposed to be some French blood in my great grandfathers line and perhaps a relative visited and sent a card or perhaps they just visited. Apparently they are basically saying 'Greetings' or Hello!

My GGgrandmothers last name is listed as Boetto - but I often heard Grandma talk about cousins in Illinois and she refereed to them as the Berto cousins (and they are the ones who sponsored her coming to America) - so perhaps the last name was shortened or changed like so many have been and they are part of that clan.

Many thanks, - this is such a fascinating journey!


You are very welcome :D

If you like, maybe you could give us some more details about your GGrandmother and we could help you find out more. e.g. Full name, approximate date of arrival to America, approximate date of birth, town born in Italy, possible syblings, GGrandfather's name, children etc – just whatever you might know. Maybe start a new post under “Italian Genealogy”.

I shall be interested to see how the “French” connection progresses. Yes, is fascinating – and very exciting too, (not to mention addictive). Keep enjoying the journey :)

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
 
Posts: 689
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Can anyone tell me what this card says?

Postby Nataliej » 15 Jul 2014, 22:45

Yes, It is addictive - very! :0) I typed a long reply and then lost it :( I will start a new thread.

The French connection is through my Great Grandfather Domenaco Luscietto. My grandma seems to think that his mom was French - but she had no other details, not even a name. My aunt had DNA testing done and it does show some French - but she has a different father than my mother so it could be from that line.

Thank you all so much!
Nataliej
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 13 Jul 2014, 02:07

Re: Can anyone tell me what this card says?

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 15 Jul 2014, 23:38

Nataliej wrote:Yes, It is addictive - very! :0) I typed a long reply and then lost it :( I will start a new thread.

The French connection is through my Great Grandfather Domenaco Luscietto. My grandma seems to think that his mom was French - but she had no other details, not even a name. My aunt had DNA testing done and it does show some French - but she has a different father than my mother so it could be from that line.

Thank you all so much!


You are welcome.

Re: "losing your reply". This happens to me sometimes too so I mostly always type my replies (especially if they are long) on a word document and then copy and paste to the forum.

Good luck with the rest of your search. The researchers here are brilliant. I shall be watching with much interest :D

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
 
Posts: 689
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Can anyone tell me what this card says?

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 16 Jul 2014, 04:45

Hi again

You may be interested to know that the name Bertotti appears in the French White Pages: http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/pagesblanches ... nsePDR.jsf

(If the names aren't showing, just click on “Trouver” in the purple box on the right. It will bring up the names and localities.)

There were no listings for Bertotti in Grenoble.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
 
Posts: 689
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Can anyone tell me what this card says?

Postby liviomoreno » 16 Jul 2014, 08:23

AngelaGrace56 wrote:Hi

Yes it is beautiful hand writing. This is what I see written:

“Grenoble, 4 Ottobre 1929
In segno di vero affetto offriamo ai nostri cari
Giacinta e Alfredo Bertotti”

which google translates to:

“4 Grenoble, 4 October 1929
In sign of true affection we offer to our dear
Giaicinta and Alfredo Bertotti”

(Maybe the people who wrote it didn't write in Italian so well, or I've misread a letter, but it gives you the gist of what was meant. Someone else may clarify for you.)

...
Angela
User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
 
Posts: 3948
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 01:00
Location: Rome, Italy

Re: Can anyone tell me what this card says?

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 16 Jul 2014, 12:15

liviomoreno wrote:
AngelaGrace56 wrote:
“Grenoble, 4 Ottobre 1929
In segno di vero affetto offriamo ai nostri cari
Giacinta e Alfredo Bertotti”

which google translates to:

“4 Grenoble, 4 October 1929
In sign of true affection we offer to our dear
Giaicinta and Alfredo Bertotti”

Angela


"In" makes much better sense. Thank you for the back up Livio :D

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
 
Posts: 689
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54


9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Copyright © 2014. www.ItalianGenealogy.com.