Please help with profession translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
TerryM
Rookie
Rookie

Please help with profession translation

Postby TerryM » 21 Aug 2014, 19:29

I have attached a birth record with a red arrow pointing to the profession of a witness. Please let me know what the Italian spelling is as well as the translation. I have REALLY tried to figure it out but can't. Thank you!
Attachments
Carolino Marasco birth record - profession of witness.jpg

erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Please help with profession translation

Postby erudita74 » 21 Aug 2014, 19:32

TerryM wrote:I have attached a birth record with a red arrow pointing to the profession of a witness. Please let me know what the Italian spelling is as well as the translation. I have REALLY tried to figure it out but can't. Thank you!

Hi Terry

The word as written in this document is barilajo. Sometimes we find the letter "j" in place of the letter "i" in surnames or in other words. In this case, it is in an occupation word. The occupation is barrel maker, which we normally see spelled as "barilaio"

Erudita

TerryM
Rookie
Rookie

Postby TerryM » 21 Aug 2014, 19:47

Thank you Erudita! That was quick! Yes, it was the "j" that threw me. I also thought the "r" was an "n" or "m".

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 21 Aug 2014, 19:58

TerryM wrote:Thank you Erudita! That was quick! Yes, it was the "j" that threw me. I also thought the "r" was an "n" or "m".

Hi Terry
Happy to help.
Erudita

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”