ore Italiana

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
dmt1955
Master
Master

ore Italiana

Postby dmt1955 » 18 Sep 2014, 19:04

i have seen on a number of records the term 'Italiana' after the recorded hour of an event...."alle ore due Italiana..."

what does this signify / mean when it comes to the clock time.

thanks
donna
http://www.MyItalianFamilies.com
Researching: Purcaro, Raimo, Rizzo, Scaglione, Troisi, Masucci
Locations: Ariano (di Puglia) Irpino, Volturrara Irpina, Altavilla Irpina

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: ore Italiana

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 18 Sep 2014, 21:19

Hi Donna
I have also come across this in my older records and have also wondered. Because it seemed to be used when ante meridiem/post meridium weren't used I have come to the conclusion that when I see 9 Italiana, it just intended 9 am and when I see 21 Italiana, it intended 9 pm. I would be interested to learn otherwise.

Angela

erudita74
Master
Master

Re: ore Italiana

Postby erudita74 » 18 Sep 2014, 23:45

Donna and Angela,
This system of telling time dates back in Italy to the mid 14th century. At the time, Italian hours were counted from sunset, with sunset being the 24th hour. That made it easy for people to determine how many hours there were of daylight. All they had to do was subtract the current time from 24 and you would have that info. The drawback came with the sun moving during the year, and the different seasons, so length of time wasn't constant. For example, if noon corresponded roughly with 19 hours in winter time, in summer it might only correspond with 16 hours.The system was replaced in the mid 18th century, but personally I have always counted the way Angela has when I have seen the concept in my earlier records.

I am going to provide you with a link to an article which is written in Italian and can be downloaded. Have to go retrieve it and will edit my post to include it.

Here's the link:

http://www.academia.edu/2021256/Le_ore_ ... nda_parte_

Erudita

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”